Need a shoe recommendation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Apr 11, 2014.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Scouring for deals, I've amassed a small shoe wardrobe over the past couple of months, including a fair amount of both dress and casual brown shoes. However, a nice pair of black dress shoes have been alluding me. I have a new office gig coming up, so I thought now would be as good of time as any to pick up a nice black dress shoe.

I've been rather underwhelmed with the lower and mid-tier selections I've seen. Finding an affordable brown shoe is easy, but cheap black shoes look cheap. I'm looking for a good oxford. Toe-cap is alright, but I'm not looking for a wing-tip or fancy brogueing. I'm searching for something that is going to last for a while.

Currently, I'm considering Allen Edmonds and Alden. If I go the Alden route, I'll probably look for a very little worn used pair on the 'bay.

Any recommendations?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Allen Edmonds is good, maybe Cole-Haan.
  3. gary m

gary m

Doc Martens offers a few black dress options that wouldn't look out of place in an office setting -- blacked out stitching around the welt versus the usual yellow stitching, and darkened soles. Prices on Amazon are usually around the $100 -- $130 mark. Their three-eye oxford looks stylish.
  4. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Weyenberg, Stacy Adams, Nunn-Bush?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

+1 to Nunn-Bush just grabbed a pair at DSW for 60. Haven't worn fancy blacks for 10+years, but my sister asked me to officiate her wedding...
  7. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

8. rtslinger

rtslinger

9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Barker, if you want nice. A-E are nice as well.

lowsound
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

I have no less than 4 pairs of Docs I wear to the office. I have both black and brown buck wingtips, and more plain black and brown pairs.

I'm wearing my black wings with a charcoal grey suit today...
  11. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Another vote for Rockports. My brother gave me two pair that didn't fit him right, both dressy slip ons. They didn't quite fit me right either as they were a little tight, but after a week of wearing them, they just conformed to my feetsies and fit like a glove now. I can wear all day without discomfort. I've also had very good luck with LL Bean shoes, but don't know if they carry dress shoes per say.
  12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13. Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    I love my Allen Edmonds, but I'm the opposite: I tend to go for the brogue styling with wingtips or cap toes in the lace-ups, or a simple loafer/driving shoe.

My # 1 suggestion would be to go to an Allen Edmonds store if there is one near you. The option to try their different lasts makes a huge difference. My first pair from them was a hasty purchase and the last used on that pair didn't agree with my feet at all for a full day's wear.
  13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Allen Edmonds are what I wore to work in a formal setting for years. Nice thing about them, at least the middle and upper tiers is that AE will rebuild them for you when they are worn. They come back looking and performing as new new. I kept a couple of sets of the slips ons when I stopped that kind of employ.

These days I wear whatever to work and keep a set of birkies in my cube for wear around the joint. Yes I know about Portlandia....
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I really like Rockport dress shoes. I have extra wide feet, and they make very comfortable shoes. I like some of the other brands mentioned, like AE and NB, but they are just too narrow for my foot.

I had a pair of Hush Puppies not too long ago that were quite comfortable, but they did not hold up in the New England winter.

-Mike
  15. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

If you have a DSW store near you, check them out. I feel like they have some of the most extensive offerings out there. And they have a great range of price points, too.
  16. sowilson

sowilson

Allen Edmonds and Alden are good choices in decent shoes. AE Park Avenue's would be a good choice for you style wise if the #5 Last is appropriate for your feet. I suggest that you figure out what Lasts work well for you and then find something of an appropriate style in a Last that works with your feet.
  17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Those Rockports do look quite nice. I'm going to see if there's an A-E store near me. I actually own a pair of casual oxford Nunn-Bush. They are a solid shoe for everyday life and gigs, but I'm looking for something a little bit different for a dress oxford.
  18. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

What's your budget?
  19. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Look around for Mezlan shoes. Some models are pricey though.
  20. Anthbass

Anthbass

This.

I* like Crockett & Jones for formal wear; Rag and Bone for most everyday situations.

More budget-minded, shoes from Ecco and J&M can be great.

*Shoe guy.
  21. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I don't get shoes for color, fashion, or designer. I get them because they feel good.

Rock Port ProWalkers. The nine series. Long out of production I haunt EBay. And then keep them alive at Sal's in Dover.

The Vibram sole light light and absorbs impact.

These shoes make me glad to have feet.

Attached Files: