1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

need a small ampeg rig $800

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by th30nlyAket, Nov 18, 2012.

1. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

please not the micro stacks. any suggestions?
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

And you want us to do??????
  3. El-Bob

El-Bob

+1
  4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    loan him $800 ?
  5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

You're eliminating a lot of ampeg rig options at that price - at least new.

Buying used may restrict you heavily if you can't extend your budget or time spent searching. At any rate used may mean lots of repair costs, esp. if you get a very cheap head and/or cab.

You can get a combo . . . but it'll have a micro's innards or close to it.

I'll suggest: Trying a whole bunch of rigs . . . ampeg and others - and micros. You may get exactly what you want in terms of tone and output through experimentation.

What are you looking to do with your rig? A very loud and capable ampeg rig is usually fairly pricey.
  6. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

any suggestions?
  7. bassguppy

bassguppy

How will you be using the rig? Venue sizes. Rehearsals or gigging? Why only Ampeg?
  8. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

PF-500 head and PF210 or PF115 cab. Right around $800. Loud, powerful, versatile, and lightweight.

Close thread.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Please.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Um.... sorry but do you mind if some others (who obviously aren't as learned as you) chime in?

Here's my first question. Why are you set on Ampeg? Don't get me wrong. I have owned and liked several Ampeg rigs, but when I bought them I didn't go LOOKING for an Ampeg. I went looking for an amp that fit my budget/gig. At those points in my career, Ampeg fit the bill. Plus, each Ampeg sounds quite different from the others. And that's just the heads. Their cabs are just as tonally diverse. A ported 6-10 will sound absolutely NOTHING like a sealed 8-10.

Why don't you try telling us what kind of music you play and what your tone/volume requirements are? That is, unless you are making an Ampeg documentary and need a prop.
  11. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

i like the ampeg sound basically. gk would be my only other maybe option. its gonna be a small studio setting looking tone and not alot of volume
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For a small studio setting, get a B-15 or SB-12. If you're patient, you can find them for $800 or thereabouts.
  13. B-string

I am getting a picture of a young bassist starting out? In which case http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-ba115hp-220-watt-1x15-bass-series-combo-amp
    G-K is a different "sound" than "Ampeg" stay with a combo like http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...-mb115-ii-200w-1x15-ultralight-bass-combo-amp or http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...-mb210-ii-350w-2x10-ultralight-bass-combo-amp

Correct me if I am wrong please?
    You need to learn technique and portability would be your biggest issue at first.
  14. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Lots of options there. I'll bet that a lot of heads, cabs, and combos will do exactly what you want - some with DI's and things like heat sinks instead of fans or temperature controlled fans to avoid adding excessive fan noise to a recording scenario.

Consider also a modelling preamp like a sansamp. That + a small poweramp will give you ampeggy tones aplenty while giving you a poweramp you can probably find a few uses for. :p
  15. B-string

JUst saw your update here so the old tried and true http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-ba115-bass-combo might be good for you. Not as easy to move beyond small coffee house gigs or Jazz band with it though.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I'm not trying to be hard to deal with, but there is no "Ampeg sound". They all have their own sounds. A solid state combo is going to sound nothing like an old tube portaflex, which doesn't sound a lot like an SVT to me. They're all over the place. Are there some recordings using Ampegs that you like? That might help us narrow down WHICH "Ampeg sound" you are talking about.
  17. joecarrr

joecarrr

18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    You should be able to get a used SVT410HE for around $300 to $350 and a good used head for $500.
  19. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Or better yet a 210 - in a small studio situation you'll be fine with that . . . but I suppose a 410 or 115 will better fit a 19" head on top!

There are less small 210 cabs - but they won't save on floor space like the skinnier ones:

[​IMG]

Whatever cab you get - if it has a tweeter a pad, attenuator, or off switch it's a good thing - makes it easier to use effects and get more varied tones.