1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need a small neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greggpj, Apr 2, 2014.

1. greggpj

greggpj

Hey folks,

I am planning on picking up a bass. I have played for many years but every bass I have ever owned has had a neck radius too big for my hands - I have very small hands. I need a bass that has a neck radius around 10 inches. Any ideas?

G

2. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Any fender. Largest jazz I believe is 9.5" - vintage spec 7.5".

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

To clarify, are you looking for a fretboard that's flatter or curvier? Is the neck profile (as opposed to the fretboard radius) also a factor?

4. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Reverend Rumblefish. Great tone and they're light, too!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

I would say Ibanez? Or jazz bass?

Maybe a short scale bass would fit your needs.

7. capnjim

capnjim

Try to find one of the MIJ medium scale basses. They were made in the 90's and are 32" scale and have really thin necks. They are a bit rare, but they are worth every penny and sound as good as any full scale. They are also some of the highest quality Fenders ever made.
    I really really regret selling my 32" scale '96 Jazz Bass.

8. oldrookie

oldrookie

Look for a "Beatle" bass. The necks are tiny. http://www.rondomusic.com/wvebvs.html

Had the Brice version for a time. Get the Hofner version if you want a tad more upscale. If I had known then what I know now--I'd still have mine.

9. gary m

gary m

+1. Love my Hofner Club on those days when the arthritis attacks my left hand, which seems to be more and more. Ah, the benefits of age...that, and being able to sneak into seniors' night at Denny's! :p

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

My Tobias Classic 5 has the most comfortable neck
    I have ever played on. Thin and a symetrical taper on the
    bottom side of the neck.

11. Yep - they are some of the the highest quality Fenders ever made, and they do sound as good as any full scale - absolutely great choice.

Or Fender Japan still sells the 32" medium scales in the Jazz Bass model brand new, if you can't find any used.

Immaculate workmanship. Here is mine:

[​IMG]

And keep in mind they make this exact Jazz Bass model in what they call "Smart Scale" which is the equivalent of our 30" Short Scale.

It's here: http://fenderjapan.co.jp/jb62ss.html

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

12. lz4005

lz4005

Like other people have said, radius is how you measure a curve. It has nothing to do with width or length and no bearing on hand size.

Do you need a narrower neck, a shorter neck or a neck that has a 10" radius?