1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

need a suggestion for a conservatory audition

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by vinbass, Feb 8, 2013.

1. vinbass

vinbass

hello,

this is somewhat urgent. i am auditioning for a respected conservatory next month, 3/13. I have prepared all of the standard technical and repertoire facets of the audition but i need to play an excerpt from a 20th century work. Just an excerpt; please keep that in mind. Any suggestions? I am at a standstill on this. Not as familiar with some of the 20th century works featuring double bass as I am the more classical repertoire. Stravinsky, Prokofiev perhaps? Maybe Hindemith? But what works/movements?

Urgent!!!

Greatly appreciate the help fellow db brothers and sisters.

2. mrLahey

mrLahey

Are you auditioning for Con College?

3. baceplayer

baceplayer

The opening section from Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra is great if you can find it. Prokofiev's Lt. Kije solo or the soli around r. 50 in the fifth movement of his Romeo and Juliet Second Suite is great too. Many more options, but whatever you can find will work.

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Pulcinella is a standard 20th century excerpt. What about searching through major orchestra's audition requirements to get a feel for what's asked?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

Although perhaps a little lazy, you could perhaps look at the conservatory's previous performances of 20th Century pieces, and pick something from that?

Baceplayer also raises a good suggestion with the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra. I've played that one, and it's definitely a good one I think. Haven't ever played anything by Prokofiev, so I cannot comment on that.

7. Dbass926

Dbass926

Shostakovich 5? Plenty of great excerpts there. Or the Ginastera Variaciones Concertantes solo. Both could show strengths.

8. MostlyBass

Ah yes - the Ginastera!!

9. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

+1
    I've been working that up lately and it's awesome. Especially if you have a harpist or pianist friend to play the accompaniment with you.

10. thedbman4265

thedbman4265

If you're a fan of quarter tones, may I recommend Ginastera's Concerto for Strings. There's also a pretty tough lick in the final movement of Prokofiev's Quintet. Think about it!

11. MostlyBass

I would be hesitant to audition with 1/4 tones. Although that piece is very difficult you want the committee to know you have a solid sense of pitch.

12. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Not to mention given a month, I'd rather go with something a little less difficult than the concerto for strings, especially since the OP has other rep to work on as well

13. mrLahey

mrLahey

Whenever I play a quarter tone I tell them the liquor made me do it.

14. HowiePlaysBass

HowiePlaysBass

aye, thank god for university ball

15. Conky

Conky

i think you need a brain transplant.

16. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1360641683.102739.jpg

17. Randy Bobandy

Randy Bobandy Banned

the pants are about to come off!

18. SteveFrench

SteveFrench

You know what they say Randyman, if you love something, set it free.

19. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

There are two big ginastera solos, one of which is very doable and is regularly asked, variations concertante and the other which is the ginastera concerto for orch or something....that one is not a smart move for college auditions or any audition, better to make a good showing on something that is tough but playable without excessive work

20. cold elephant

cold elephant

Duncan McTier told me he was once called last minute to the bass section of an anonymous chamber orchestra somewhere on the continent to play the Ginastera concerto for strings. Apparently every other player they could think to ask including the guy who's job it was became suddenly and mysteriously ill. He said it was the only time he's ever had a mention in a concert review afterwards.... After he showed me the music I could tell why. That and the Prokofiev are not sensible suggestions for the amount of time in question. Needlessly difficult, frankly. Bartok concerto for orchestra is a good idea. First page of the first movement and the next line would do or a selection of bits from the last movement, or mix and match any of above.

21. dude1234

dude1234

Lieutnant Kije
    Ginastera's Variaciones Concertantes
    Britten Young Person's Guide, Bass Variation
    Shosty 5

are the 4 excerpts it would be reasonable for you to play, the easiest being Kije because it's so short.

Being neoclassical, I don't think Pulcinella would quite fit the requirement.