1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need advice about bass purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blkvulcan, Jan 3, 2013.

1. blkvulcan

blkvulcan

Here's the deal - I bought my first real bass, an Epiphone Goth Thunderbird IV, for $250 last week from a local store. My first bass was a Vinci I bought off Ebay a few years ago and never really got into it. Well now I am picking it back up and trying to learn. OK back to topic, I was extremely excited about the purchase and checked the kneck, frets, and finish as best as I could. It was not advertised as used so I felt like I was getting a decent deal. Well I discovered the other night that the real serial number had 3 digits removed and then upon closer inspection noticed "used" barely visible on the back of the headstock. I haven't gone back to the store yet, but I am first thing Saturday. What do you think I should do? I was thinking about getting my money back just based on principle.
  2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

If you like the bass, I would go back and ask to speak to the manager. Then get the USED price. Now for $250, it sounds like you already GOT the USED price. It looks like NEW they go for around $299.

Which store?
  3. blkvulcan

blkvulcan

I'd rather not say until I found out how they handle this. You think $250 is still a good price for a refurbished bass without a warranty?
  4. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

Not when new with warranty is $49 more.
  5. blkvulcan

blkvulcan

That is what I'm thinking.

I was planning on getting a Squier Jaguar VM Special, but wanted to check this place out because they are usually very nice and my Uncle used to play in a band with the owner. I saw the Thunderbird and really liked and thought $250 is a good deal. Now I feel like I was cheated.
  6. stepswork4me

7. blkvulcan

blkvulcan

Looks like I didn't do too bad, except the one brand new one in the box for $245 +S&H.
  8. stepswork4me

Exactly... You might contact Epiphone and find out what the standard warranty is... Maybe see if the shop owner will honor that in writing.
  9. electracoyote

electracoyote

Keep in mind, the factory sometimes stamps the word "used" on the headstock (or other places on the guitar) to signify that quality control found a flaw that keeps the guitar from being sold at full retail. Now sometimes, this flaw is very tiny, almost unnoticeable. Sometimes it's a little cosmetic thing, like a finish flaw or paint chip. But the QC person noticed it and stamped it accordingly.

Then they sell these "used" (or sometimes they are stamped "2ND") guitars to specialty retailers who offer them at a big mark down from the full retail for a so-called flawless specimen. So, it may not be "used" in the sense that someone owned it before you.

I have several "used" guitars and basses in my collection, and I could only find the flaw on a few of them. Some appear to be perfect.

If you got a good price, and if the bass checks out, looks, plays, and sounds good, you probably did okay.
  10. -=DanAtkinson=-

-=DanAtkinson=- Supporting Member

Talk to the manager. Tell him you want $25 off because it was sold as new but was used. At least get a pack of free strings.
  11. blkvulcan

blkvulcan

I am going to talk to him Saturday. I don't have a problem with it being refurbished or a 2nd. The problem I had was that I thought I was buying a new bass. Had I not been so excited about buying one, my 2 little girls running around, and my wife telling me how much she liked it I probably would have caught it. I feel they should have told me that is was refurbished. If he offers to give me a refund I'll probably take it. If he offers me store credit to make me happy I will feel a little better. I wouldn't have paid $250 for it if I had known it was refurbished. Thanks for all the advice. I have been lurking around here for about a month. I'm having a great time learning.
  12. millsbass5

millsbass5

Here's what you do:
    Go back to the store with the bass in hand, and ask how long the warranty is on your "new" bass, or if they offer an "extended warranty. If they come off with some ******** story, bust their ass on the proof/evidence that it's actually used. Then, you'll have all the leverage to get a d-e-e-p discount on it. Hey, it's dog-eat-dog, and if your're hungry enough, you just may be the dog eatin' steak. Hey, turnabout's fair play. Hell, at least get 'em to throw in a case, or a ******** of strings.

Some days you eat chicken, and other days you just get the feathers.
  13. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

If you like the bass, who really gives a rip? Can you find a significant defect that is going to bother you while you own it? IMO, you're being a little too picky over a $250 bass. If you were buying a MIA Fender or a Ric, you'd have more room to moan.

The fact that they weren't forthcoming about it being a second is another story. Maybe find another shop to frequent in the future. Going back and raising a huge stink or returning it is just going to make you come across as unreasonable.

Just my .02. I'm probably wrong; I am usually. Good luck with your choice.
  14. blkvulcan

blkvulcan

This might as well been a Ric or an MIA Fender. $250 is a lot to spend on something that I am just doing for fun. How would you feel if you bought a new $200 bluray for $150 and got it home to find out it was refurbished? I am not saying I am going to go in there and raise a stink. I just want to tell the manager how I feel and see if he offers to do anything to make it a better offer. I also want to see if they have any other basses that are refurbished and selling as if they were new. They originally had this bass marked at $279 and had recently marked it down to $249.99.
  15. electracoyote

electracoyote

I agree that if it is a factory second, that should have been made clear. It probably would not change the price, I'm guessing it was already priced accordingly, but it would have enlightened the buyer to exactly what he was buying. A little store credit might restore good faith and make up for the lack of disclosure.

Again, I have to emphasize that the bass has not had a previous owner, OP is the first owner, and if it has no noticeable flaws, this is a great way to get a discount on a guitar or bass. Most of my "2nds" are perfect, I have no idea why they were marked that way, but I saved some dough in the process.
  16. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

I still stand by my post that $50 off a $299 bass is still a good deal. That's almost 20% off.
    Imagine getting 20% off a $1500 Stingray 5? That would bring the cost down to $1200! I think most of us would take THAT deal.

It was sold as new, so it should still have the warranty.
  17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

But every single person here would say you grossly overpaid on a $1200 used Stingray... same as this bass

It wasn't sold as new if you paid $250, then you'd be lucky to have a 90 day warranty, probably 30.

If you like the bass I would try and get some money back or a couple pairs of strings, maybe 1 pair and a setup or something. You might come home with your cash in hand because the dealer won't do spit for you and just returns it.
  18. blkvulcan

blkvulcan

I talked to the owner of the store today. I can get a refund if I have the receipt, which my wife threw away, or he can give me some cash or something from the store.
  19. stepswork4me

Hmmmm.... What strikes me funny is that he probobly has the sale on record and knows that you bought it there and is still requireing the receipt. Was there any sort of explaination as to why there wasn't any transparency in the sale? How much was offered, if you don't mind?
  20. blkvulcan

blkvulcan

I talked to him on the phone and he didn't say how much. He said for me to let him know what I want to do. I'm going to talk to him in person. My brother is going to go with me and he haas talk to the owner several times. The way my brother is I may walk out there with a free bass.