1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

need advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nick0, Jan 28, 2014.

1. nick0

nick0

I have a choice between an Aguilar DB112 with *no tweeter* (which I've played, and find magical, and amazing) and a Baer ML112 I haven't played. $600 CAD [edit: new scratch&dent, not used], vs $699 USD+shipping (currently unknown), new.

I'm going to be using it with a GB Streamliner. I need to get used to playing through a PA, but have never played through one.

Please let me know! I have the Aguilar on hold for a day.

2. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    If it were me.. I would get the Baer.. I think it is a more even sounding cab.. And with the mid driver you can get more articulation without sounding too hifi..
    Point of reference, I sold all of my Aguilar cabs 2x DB112s and 4 x GS112s for $300 US each..

3. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

Cut the red wire

Oh a question...for the price I'd get the Baer

4. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola

700 for a 112? i'll pass:eek:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Your sentence construction is poor.

Is it 600CDN for the used cab which you like? Seems high for a used cab.

You can probably add customs duty to the shipping when importing. Brokerage too.

One plus for simple 1x12 is it's easy to mic up consistently.

7. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

I played an aguilar DB212 for a long time and always had the tweet turned off. I owned a streemliner for a while, and did a hand full of gigs with it, and same with the Baer ML112. Owned it for a while, did a few gigs, and flipped it.

I didn't really care for the Baer too much, although they get a lot of love. I tend to gravitate to a single driver (or multiple matching drivers) cabs, and usually have my tweet off if there is one.

I think the Baer will probably be louder, and have a bigger bottom end than the DB cab. I always felt like I was hearing the 6" driver in the Baer - like there were two separate speakers, which there are, and I just didn't care for that. The DB cabs are very nice - as you already know - but I switched to a Bergantino CN212 and like it much better than the DB cab - or really any cab.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The Aguilar DB112NT would be too dark of a cab, for me.
    I own and use the Baer stuff, and like it quite a bit.
    The Baer isn't a bottom heavy cab, and the Streamliner is kind of a bottom heavy head; so that would maybe balance out well.

9. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Just to be clear, I was only saying that the Baer would have more bottom than the DB cab.

Both great cabs, and a win either way. It really boils down to a personal thing. It never occoured to me that the DB is a "dark" cab, but I could see it, especially compared to the Baer.

10. nick0

nick0

Everyone, thank you for your replies. I asked the store to give me another day to think about this. My apologies for this long reply!

My apologies, it was a rushed and not-at-all sober post in the middle of a party! Yes, 600CDN seems high to me too; for comparison getting a Baer ML112 would probably cost more like ~900CDN…ends up being $200 over my planned budget, but GAS is more expensive. Getting a new Aguilar DB112NT tends to be $630-to-800CDN here, depending on where your brick&mortar store is, or adding-in the cost of shipping. I'm gearing-up for paying gigs now, and am honestly kinda terrified of playing through a PA, and hope that miking will ease the transition.

I wish I could get a DB112
    That would be an easy decision!

Alternatively I can pick up a 112 GK Neo II from Long&McQuade for ~542CDN, and if it doesn't work out, return it to a local branch, minus the shipping cost (I'm assuming $70). No idea if this one will sound magical to me…so I wasn't really counting it as an option. What do you think?

I have no idea what kind of music I'll be playing this next year, but my strengths are in classic rock, alternative, and a bit of fingerstyle funk and jazz. Pbass with TI flats or some brand of broken-in nickel rounds. I like the sound of an SVT classic plugged into a 60lb sealed Traynor 115, but it's more musical (magical for me) with a db112. The Streamliner is my wannabe SVT Classic--but portable--compromise. I haven't found a Markbass, SWR, or Hartke cab I liked. Fender rumble is an almost adequate compromise, but not loud enough. Aguilar SL112 feels a bit out of control with an SVT (maybe just in my head…), so I assume it would with the Streamliner. The shelf-ported Ampeg Neo 210 leaves me cold.

Chef, hennessybass: Does the Baer still have that magical something-something in the mids that the db112nt has more of then a sealed 115? If it does, I'm guessing it's the most versatile one-cab solution, though maybe harder to mike than the db112nt? Have either of you compared a GK Neo II 112 to a db112? I don't think I need the sizzle of a tweeter, but like to be able to get more of a woody click, or at least something occasionally more interesting than just a thunk with fingerstyle ghost notes. Without a band, the db112 seems like it'll get me there, but I worry it'll get lost in the mix. On the other hand, the critic in me says that as long as I can hear it enough to get emotional feedback from that sound, then it doesn't matter if it gets lost…

11. nick0

nick0

Correction! It's a new cabinet

The logo was damaged with a sticker and some tape, and the speaker sounded broken-in, which is why I assumed it was used. Yeah, so $600CAD for a new DB112NT.

12. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

If you find the sound of the DB112NT to be magical - then that is the cab you should buy. The Baer is a stunning cab - but sounds nothing like the DB.

13. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Don't feel too bad about the price of the DB112NT, over here in Aus they retail for ~AU$1000...
    TB classifieds and eBay were a big help for me in that respect.

+1 If you like the sound of it, go with it...
    I agree that one DB112NT is magical, two is very naughty indeed, massive sound, so a second at a later stage would serve you well, especially for larger gigs...

14. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    +1 The ML112 is in a totally different tonal ballpark than the DB112NT. If you love the sound of the DB, the ML112 will probably have too much going on in the upper mids and highs for your taste.