1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need Advice: BEST GK head for MESA PH410

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by amaderasu, Jan 6, 2013.

1. amaderasu

amaderasu

I am seeking advice on which head to pair with a Mesa Boogie powerhouse 410. Until recently I have been using an Ampeg BA115HP 220 watt 1x15 combo amp. The guitarist in my band uses a 1959 Fender Bassman he built, his amp destroyed the ampeg in terms of volume and tone. I liked the tone of the ampeg, but the amp lacked headroom, and even at low volume it didn't sound as full as the Bassman.

I've done some research and I'm leaning towards a 410 cab. I have head the SVT 410HFL and the MESA Powerhouse 410 both put out a lot of low end and sound great. I have concern that my bottom end will feel empty going from a 1x15 to a 410. I am considering getting two 410's.

I would like to get a head that could work well with a PH 410 but could also run two PH 410's.

I am leaning towards GK heads at this point, I am not sure which would be the most appropriate. GK400RB, GK800RB, 1001RBII, 2001RB? How does the MB series compare to the RB? I noticed many of the RB series have a biamp feature for the horn, would this make some of the amps power useless without a matching GK cab?

What head to you recommend for running EITHER one PH410 or two?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

With the ph cabs I would go with the mb800. Just make sure you go with two 8 ohm cabs.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

+1 MB500 being second, The 800RB or 400RB (I,II,III or IV) do not have HMS ("Biamp"). The other RB series will work VERY well in full range.
    MB Fusion is also high in the mix as is the Fusion 550.
  4. amaderasu

amaderasu

Thank you for your input so far.

How does the tone of the MB series compare to that of the RB?

Is there an amp that you would recommend to be paired with a powerhouse 610? If I got a 610, that would likely be the only cab I would be using.
  5. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would recommend the MB fusion 500, or MB 800 if you wanted to stay with the GK amps.
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Similar, except for the MB Fusion, the RB has a more flexible preamp IMHO.
  7. amaderasu

amaderasu

So what makes the MB series better than the RB series? Weight is my least important consideration. The most important factors for me are (in order) Tone, volume, features, lastly weight.

I liked the tone of my BA115, but I need something that can keep up with a Fender Bassman (410). I am now considering a Mesa PH 610 instead of 410. Is there a good head that anyone could recommend pairing it with?

How much low end can I expect to hear from a 610? I have used two full stacks in my life, both times Acousitc (B200 or something) with an acoustic 410 and 115. Can a 610 have as deep lows as a 410 and 115?