Need advice for a bass compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andbaggio, Jan 31, 2014.

1. andbaggio

andbaggio

I need to get a bass compressor to get an extra punch and get my sound more even.

any advice on a cheap compressor so not to spend a fortune on it. I was thinking of the MXR Bass Compressor M87... anyone?
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I've owned that one great compressor and great bang for your buck find a used one and you should be set.
  3. Yango

Yango

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

5. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

For the price, you really won't find much better than the M87. Especially if you pick one up used.
  6. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

They aren't cheap but my favorite are the keeley pedals
  7. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

+1 the M87, it's not cheap but it's easy to use and the compression level indicator is a good tool.
  8. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Supporting Member

I dig the Aguilar TLC. I always like to recommend it to anyone who's searching; it at least merits consideration.
  9. Guinness20

Guinness20

Go for the diamond bass comp, incredible pedal!
  10. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I've had great success with the BBE OptoStomp (older version, "non-mustache") - I have one on each of my 2 pedalboards.
  11. eriky4003

eriky4003

I'd support the MXR M87.
    I had a different experience with the LMB-3. I was using an active bass and would get a distorted note every so often in a night (the bottom would drop out and it was just a distorted note). I also found it coloured or sucked out the tone.
    Haven't had either issue with M87. Very transparent.
  12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I'm in the process of putting my new "nano size" petal board together - and I recently scored a new Xotic SP compressor that I'm very happy with, true bypass, blend knob, etc and it cost less than the M87.

Check it out ~
    http://www.amazon.com/Xotic-SP-Comp...=UTF8&qid=1391197446&sr=1-1&keywords=Xotic SP
  13. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

You are right on the money with the MXR. Its a fantastic comp for bass. Also, I noticed that you are located in Italy. The Markbass Compressore should be readily available there (I'm assuming that since it's made in Italy) and is also one of the best compressors around. I'd stay away from the Ross clones mentioned. Way better on guitar than on bass.
  14. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I owned an M87 for a year, until recently. It is good. I gave it up to get an Empress, which is very similar but has a few extra features and extra range in the controls (except for ratios, the MXR has a different---not necessarily better---range of ratios). I do like the Empress better so far, but the MXR is cheaper (especially used), and I would recommend it.
  15. Jimmi Clarke

Jimmi Clarke

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Musicman, Ernie Ball, Ashdown Bass Amps
    There's a Chinese company called Mooer who are a producing good quality compact pedal. I've just bought a yellow comp which looks and sounds like a copy of the diamond (I own the diamond too). In the UK it's just £59 so it sounds great and is cheap. Hope that helps!
  16. Terracite

Terracite Supporting Member

EBS multi for evening out tones. Multi band lets you keep your punch while making dirt much easier to dial in.