1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need advice for stripping Squier neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ChrisCassisi, Dec 3, 2013.

1. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Disclosures:
    Tone Bastards Cables
    A few months back I picked up a '51 style p bass off of GC's used site for real cheap. The body is a Warmoth swamp ash natural and has a Seymour Duncan pickup. The saleperson said their was no logo on the headstock when I called so I took a gamble and bought it. The body alone was worth twice what I paid. So I recieved the bass and was real impressed with everything. The neck is awesome but I can see what is the outline of the Squier logo still. Kind of looks like a shadow.

Is there any way I can get this off without having to sand down the headstock? Any sharing of experience/knowledge/technique would be much appreciated.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

It will fade in time, the shadow is caused by the Squier logo blocking light in that area, so the finish slightly yellowed around it.
  3. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Take a palm sander a lightly sand the face of the head stock with some 220, 320, 600 and then spray it with some lacquer or use Tru-Oil. Don't get crazy with sanding, you might even let it sit in a window sill for a week to get some sun. You could also try some bleach on a Q-Tip and just dab it on the surrounding area.
  4. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Disclosures:
    Tone Bastards Cables
    Thanks for the info gentleman. Greatly appreciate it. Will put it a window for a week or 2. If that doesn't work then I will give the other methods a shot. Been contimplating putting a vintage tint to it. Love the look and would take care of my logo problem at the same time.
  5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Put a Fender Logo over it. :D
  6. og61pbass

og61pbass

replace the logo,aint nothing wrong with Squier...:p
  7. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Disclosures:
    Tone Bastards Cables
    Its a parts bass so I want to leave the headstock blank.
  8. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Disclosures:
    Tone Bastards Cables
    This could easily pass for a Fender neck. It feels real nice but I don't want to make it look like something it is not.
  9. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Disclosures:
    Tone Bastards Cables
    You are absolutely right. I have owned some real nice squiers over the years. I don't care about the look or name on the headstock. Its all about feel and tone for me.
  10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Good Man
  11. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

get a sharpie and write your name on the headstock.
  12. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

:bassist: