1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need Advice: GD Perm + AE Belcanto

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by sonicbas, Dec 29, 2012.

1. sonicbas

sonicbas

Hi all,

Currently I am using Helicore Orchestral for my G and D + Belcanto for my A and E. However I was thinking of switching to a lower tension GD.

Have anyone ever tried mixing GD Perm + AE Belcanto? (are perms higher tension compared to helicore?)

I'm planning to use the setup for my bass exam and hopefully able to handle some ensemble work if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

What's wrong with the Bel D & G? They are what I'd call medium-light tension, and have great arco.

3. sonicbas

sonicbas

ooopppsss, when i got the AE BC I didn't actually think of getting the whole set, which was obviously cheaper :(

what abt Corelli 370F or TX with the BCs?

4. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Usually people go the other way around: permanent E to solve the problem of a weak E in the Bel Canto set. Also, I didn't find permanents to be lighter, at least in terms of feel, than helicore mediums. They're also a lot brighter, which may be problematic depending upon the bass. Corelli's will inspire the same problem, except that at least the F guage actually is lighter than Bel Cantos and Helicores.

Your most likely solution is probably going to be a full set of bel cantos. Granted, I don't think there's going to be much of a tension change between the two, so you might just not bother changing and go practice some more.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sonicbas

sonicbas

Oh I see. Thanks for the advice.

I'm looking to swap the helicores because it seems like the strings are getting old and it isn't easy on the right arm.

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

In my experience, Perms are higher tension and brighter than Bel Cantos.

8. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

On the RIGHT arm?! This is probably a technique issue, not a string issue.

9. sonicbas

sonicbas

Hi all,

Thanks for the prompt advice and response. I'd work towards improving both my technique and still experiment with the strings.

I'm basically looking for something that's easier to start vibrating as compared to helicore med.

Tommy could be right, it could be a technique issue, a bow issue, or even the bow hair not catching on the strings properly because of the rosin issue, or even an issue due to old strings (I don't know how long the strings were on before I purchased the bass)

Given that my technique is consistent (consistently good, or even consistently lousy, let's assume consistent technique for whoever wants a change of strings), I'd love to test out different/various grades of strings that'd really be easier to start.

10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

Permanents are good strings, but I think that if you're trying to keep your tension at or below Helicore mediums or Bel Cantos, I don't think they're for you. If you are interested in going up in tension and you're strictly an orchestral player there are some other great options too.