1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need advice on mic'ing my cab or to just di as usual

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by LouieLouie16, Jan 9, 2014.

1. LouieLouie16

LouieLouie16

I know nothing about a sound guys job so maybe you guys can give me some advice. I use a tb-153 and I use a little bit of the tweeter for my tone. According to how everyone describes these cabs, and I do hear this when there is a backlined bass cab, it doesn't color the tone of the amp being used. Kind of like a big studio monitor.

should this cab be mic'd because I use the tweeter, or am I forever to be DI'd by whatever sound guy I come across(I use a gk 700rbii, they run it through the amps di). Which at that point makes me using the tweeter useless?

Should I spend the cash on an akg d112, bring it to my shows and just tell the sound guy, "here, this is how we play the bass tonight"

2. .:Aidan:.

.:Aidan:.

Most sound guys will prefer to DI bass. Less things can go wrong.

Also, don't worry about 'losing' the tweeter sound - the FOH PA that the sound guy uses should be fullrange so it will produce the same frequencies that your tweeter did. In fact, the DI will probably give a cleaner sound out front which will make you sound more like yourself anyway.

Hope that helps :)

3. LouieLouie16

LouieLouie16

Thanks for the advice. I played upright bass for close to 8 years and within the last 2 years just got back into electric and building my rig back up so I'm basically clueless lol.

I've read about guys bringing their own di boxes, bringing the higher quality stuff. Is that a good option to get a cleaner tone or is it useless cuz my amp has that di spot on it? Our music is very bass driven, some described it as "lead bass" (which is awesome haha) so would that help? Or is the difference negligible?

4. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

i would probably go an active DI....will be a cleaner sound

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Unless you have your own soundman, just let house soundmen do it however they want to do it (DI, Mic, both). After all, in the end, after it comes out of the FOH arrays it's going to sound different anyway - at large venues your bass cab becomes just another stage monitor.

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Run your tweeter attenuator off, then the DI from the amp should be close to the cab sound. Get the soundman to listen to your cab and tell him to leave the air in.

8. TimmyP

TimmyP

IME the tweeter usually serves only to add click and clack, which does little more than make it harder to discern the notes. If the amp/speaker isn't used for 'dirt', I'd DI. If the amp/speaker is used for dirt, I'd mic and DI.

9. LouieLouie16

LouieLouie16

I only bump the tweeter a bit, like a little less than a quarter, just enough to make my slap punch on the high notes. Now that I look at it it does seem like it's not important haha but there is a method to the madness.

10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Soundman will have to eq down the air in the DI to match, also to avoid blowing his tweets in extreme cases.

11. Ajak

Ajak

If your cab doesn't color the sound, what's the point of micing it? The reason I want to mic my amp is because I play after what I'm hearing and I hear what comes out of my cab and that's what I want to sound like. If it sounds basically the same as your DI signal, you might as well just use the DI (or better the DI-out of the amp).
    Your technique and style has IME a much bigger influence on your DI sound than it does on your cab sound. That said if you really have a cab that accurate it won't be a big difference.
    High frequencies are very directional. If you'd place a mic at your woofer the tweeter will send it's frequencies past the mic unnoticed (I feel my English is very good today:eyebrow:). If you place the mic close to the tweeter you will not have enough lows in your signal. If you need your tweeter you'd need two mics I think. And most soundguys probably won't do that. I'd reccumend to use a DI and then maybe ask the soundguy to turn your highs up a bit.
    Just my thoughts.

cheers

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Probably not up, rather not so far down. OP is using his horn attenuator heavily the way I read it.

13. LouieLouie16

LouieLouie16

Not heavy a all. Just a bit to make those g string pops come through a little more.

Thanks for all the input though guys, it definitely helped

14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

With an attenuator more attenuator becomes less highs.

15. Ferret

Ferret