Need advice on new cab (or stick with what I've got)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by FunkyZeit, Dec 14, 2013.

1. FunkyZeit

FunkyZeit

I've got an Ampeg B5R that I love (except the overdrive and octave which is kind of crappy, but I never use it anyway). The tone is great, but the problem is that I'm running it through a cab that I believe has a lower wattage rating. I'll be honest, I know little about wattage and most amp stuff, but I'm trying to learn. The B5R is supposed to be a 500 watt head. I'm using a Fender Bassman 410 that shows 300 watts on the back. It would seem like I should upgrade, but I need some advice. what is the best cab used under $200 for my head? GC has a used Ashdown rated at 600w for $199, but I'm not really familiar with that brand. Or is it possible to split the difference with a second 300w cab?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If the cab you have is doing the job for you without sounding like it'll explode, it doesn't matter what the rating is and you're fine. You could split the difference with a second 410, though. Only thing is, unless it's two of the same cabs, some cabs combine well and some combine horribly, and the only way to know is to try them on a gig.
  3. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius Supporting Member

+1 to what Jimmy said....
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If your current 410 is an 8 ohm cab your amp is only outputing about 200 watts into that cab. From the owner's manual:

"675 Watts @ 2 Ohms (500 Watts Continuous)
    380 Watts @ 4 Ohms (310 Watts Continuous)
    220 Watts @ 8 Ohms (180 Watts Continuous)"

Amps "make" watts, speakers take those "watts" to produce sound. If your cab is 4 ohms it is at it's input capacity from that amp head.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FunkyZeit

FunkyZeit

Here's a pic of my cab, so it sounds like I'm actually good with what I've got. Thanks for the help, guess I'll use this money towards a nice compressor or preamp.

[​IMG]
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Yes it will get about 200 watts from the amp so you are good. IF you find you need more sound output add a second cab like you already have and the difference will be notable.
    :)