Need advice on repairing an Ibanez SR505 finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by froghat, Sep 30, 2011.

1. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

Hi all - I am mostly a 4-string player, and just bought a 5-string to try to get into it. I really like the feel of this instrument (the neck is not huge like most 5's I've tried) and it has a good sound.

The problem is the previous owner lost his pick one night and used a quarter instead. He explained there was a lot of alcohol involved. He gouged up the body pretty good.

Does anybody know what kind of finish these have? Just a varnish stain? I'm not looking for a huge project (because I know I'd start and not finish) but just some suggestions on the best way to sand this down a little and touch it up.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. froghat

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    To make it look even you'd have to sand the whole body down and refinish.

4. xxx666

xxx666

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist G&L Guitars
    I say leave it! You usually pay extra for the "relic" look!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Can you tell us about the type of 'factory' finish that is on the rest of the body? What are we talking about, stained mahogany?

7. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

A lot of alcohol must have been involved. Looks like he totally missed the strings. He rocked too hard :bassist:.

8. TK4261

TK4261 Supporting Member

Looks like it is a very thin finish and probably not to hard to finish getting the rest off. Then depending on how it looks after, you can apply Tung-Oil (if it has a nice wood grain) or restain it with whatever color stain you choose :D
    Sand off finish with 100 grit sandpaper/block then work your way down 320 or 500 grit and last 0000 steel wool.
    You can get this stuff at Home Depot for $7.99 if you go the natural route: Howard's Feed-N-Wax (in the wood stain paint section) This stuff works Awesome for natural wood and buffs off with no residue. It has Bees wax, Carnauba wax and Orange oil..Makes the wood look great and protects it..Good substitute for Warwick Wax also..
    [​IMG]

I just used that Howard's Feed-N Wax yesterday on my Ibanez SR1200e when I sanded the headstock down along with some Warwick Wax (which is super had to get if you live here in the states now) Worked Great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps :bassist:

9. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Would the same approach work on an ash body? I'm curious because I need to refinish my Warwick corvette

10. TK4261

TK4261 Supporting Member

If it is just stained and not painted, it shouldn't be to hard to sand off...especially if you are having the same effect as the original poster of this thread about his Ibanez SR505.. Paint on the other hand is a lot harder to get off ;)

11. froghat

The finish on the Ibanez appears to be a thin varnish-like stain. I looked on Ibanez's website for info on finishes, but couldn't find anything for a 2003 bass. I think I'll try sanding around the damaged part. If it goes relatively easily, I'll do the entire body. Otherwise I'll try to match the stain color at the local hardware store. If I get the whole thing sanded, I like the idea of using just tung oil.

12. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

If you get it sanded, I would try the Dragonburst stain job. Saw this video on youtube, and now want to do it to one of my basses: DIY GUITAR - Part 9: Staining the Body - YouTube. The guy who made this video has a series for the guitar (not just staining). It will probably help you a lot in what you want to do.

13. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

The body is mahogany and it is a VERY think lacquer finish. If there isn't any body damage you could use a Minwax "Red Mahogany" stain marker which you could get at a local hardware store. I had a mahogany Ibanez BTB with the same finish and some had scratched off. I used one of these pens and you couldn't tell the difference (although the scratches were small.

If that isn't going to work for you then I'd go the refinish route and use Minwax "Red Mahogany" stain on the whole body followed by a urethane spray lacquer of some sort. Maybe you should stain it and then use a wax finish like Howard Feed-n-wax.

14. KingRazor

KingRazor

Really? I've played those and it does not feel like a lacquer finish, or even that thick. Are you absolutely sure about that?

15. fourstringbliss

I said "think" I meant "thin". It's super thin! I'm not even sure it's lacquer, but I'm not sure what it is if it isn't lacquer.

16. KingRazor

KingRazor

Ah. You said think. I thought you said thick, and you meant thin! lol

17. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

I have the SR500-BM and yours looks virtually the same surface finish as mine which is just the wood varnished, no lacquer, leaving a kind of textured wood grain type finish. And I can say that this results in the bass being extremely easily dinged/scratched/gouged :( one night I was playing a gig and was wearing a different belt to normal (as it was a wedding gig) and didn't realise it has a gigantic buckle and absolutely scratched the hell out of the back of it. It literally looks like somebody tried to carve a picture in the back. I was warned about it when I bought it but still :(

As for repairing the damage, I'm not too sure. I think doing a whole sand/revarnish job would sort of ruin the texture which is why I liked the bass in the first place but still. Hope it goes well!

18. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Cool bass, though. I might try to pick one up in the next few months. Good luck getting that repaired!

19. fourstringbliss

Strip the varnish finish off, stain it with Minwax "Red Mahogany" stain, and then finish it off with Howard Feed-N-Wax. I think this is the best solution.

20. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

I would like to see that bass without stain, maybe the natural mahogany looks great and just needs waxing.

21. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

I have refinished several basses with "Watco" Danish finishing oil, easy to do and hard to screw up.
    I think the original finish is some type of solid color stain that is actually applied on top of the wood like paint.
    This is the last one I did, two years prior to this picture. Picture is a little fuzzy...

[​IMG]