Need advice on setting my Art Tube PreAmp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by neddyrow, Jan 8, 2013.

1. neddyrow

neddyrow

I just got my Art Tube V3 microphone preamp for my DPA and was looking for some tips on how you guys set your preamp. I plan to use it for shows where i go into the board (which has phantom power) and sometimes into my GK MBS. I also plan to use it for some recording.

Do you use the bass setting on the dial or use the flat setting? Should I use the phantom power on the preamp or on my board when not using the amp? Any help on this guy would be appreciated to help me get started. I've got a practice session and was looking for a starting point or tips to help me fine tune this thing.

2. Champagne

Champagne

What DPA mic do you have?

As with anything, you will have to experiment. The harder you drive a tube pre, the more saturated it will get then it will break into distortion. Higher input/lower output=saturation, high output/low input=cleaner tone. The OPL may be helpful to level things as long as it doesn't impart a distortion/hard clipping sound. Soft clipping.... maybe.

3. Champagne

Champagne

The mic placement will have a lot more effect on the sound then the preamp though the preamp will shape the tone too.

4. neddyrow

neddyrow

I have the newer DPA 4099b d vote. I know I'll have to experiment on my own but was curious as to how other owners of the art tube and DPA combo set theirs as a reference point.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Champagne

Champagne

is this a common set up? A art tube pre with the dpa? I have a couple of old tube MPs that I sometimes use for DIs but never used them for anything else. I'm a little shocked by your combo because I never thought that highly of them to use such a nice Mic with them but I am biased because I have a lot of better gear. I'd love to hear some samples from you once you get it set up. I'm going to dust one off and plug a miniature Audix Mic into it and out it on my bass.

7. neddyrow

neddyrow

It seems to be common from what I've read. Gollihur offers a package deal if you choose to get the DPA and the Art Tube preamp. I didn't get the package when I bought my DPA from them. I just got mine to help with feedback at certain venues and with some recording. I got this one because I didn't want to drop the money for a headway which seems to be the other preamp commonly used with the DPA.

8. tickbite

tickbite

I found that my 4099B tended to feedback more with a high gain + low output setting, than with a low gain + high output setting on my V3. (Or to put it another way, I got more amplification using a low gain + high output setting.)

I mainly used a neutral or bass voice setting because the others were more prone to feedback.

9. Champagne

Champagne

interesting. That's really cool. I hope you get awesome results. :)