Need advice which amp to buy...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by coda, Jan 10, 2013.

1. coda

coda

Hi, I haven't purchased a bass stack amp since 1977. I use a Fender Rumble 100 watts for practice and its a fine little amp for that. Having recently joined a blues jazz band, I need a larger rig. I play a bee bass, 1977 Fender jazz, Zon and Warick fretless. I will be playing in small to larger clubs and a few outdoor jazz type festivals.

I enjoy the deep sound of the 70s vibe, tube sound but also need to tone it up a bit for slapping and popping etc. I want a rack mountable head and thinking a 4x10 cabinet and perhaps a second cabinet with a single 15. An amp with a preamp built in perhaps partial tubes?

With so many choices I thought I would start here. Thanks in advance..:hyper:

2. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

My last amp shuffle was to switch to a Markbass LM3 and a couple of cabs to provide for
    any situation that may come my way. The LM3 is rack mountable if one prefers that.
    I have no regrets and no complaints. Tonight I'm using the LM3 with a 102P cab in a small pub gig. Light weight, packs away easy in my car, and sounds great.

3. coda

coda

Interesting, thank you

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Forget adding a 15 to a 410. A quick search here will tell the tale. Short story, it's a bad combination, though popular for all the wrong reasons. There are many amps that will perform the task you want. While searching the dreaded 410/115 pairing, cruise through all the amps threads for tons of ideas.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

+1 on not mixing cabs with different drivers.

For amps with the sound you're looking for take a look at the GK Fusion, the GB Streamliner, and the Ampeg SVT Pro7 for starters.

Edit: forgot, might also want to look at the Hartke LH500 and LH1000, the preamp is tubed and uses the Fender Bassman tone stack with a few added features to modernize it. Powers a Class D amp and very well priced and liked here.

7. tdub0199

tdub0199

the GK 700RB II & the 1001RB II are both rack mountable and you could pair it with a GK Neo 410....

8. coda

coda

thank you, feels good to have some ideas from real users...:D

9. iualum

iualum

Cab...if you're looking to go new...

If you're already thinking a large-ish box (410) to start, then a modern 215 w/Eminence Kappa Lite 3015s, 3015LFs, or Faital Pro 15PR400s is the way, the truth, & the light :eek: . You won't need a 2nd cab.

The 3015s (not 3015LFs) & 15PR400s are full-range 15s. You can run them without a mid(s) and/or high frequency driver (tweeter)/horn, & many guys do. Of course a mid(s) and/or HF driver/horn can be added to extend the range if you like.

These cabs are relatively compact & light (~ 36" tall x 20" wide x 15" deep & 65 lbs., without mid(s)/HF driver/horn). They have high sensitivity & move a lot of air. They can go very loud if you want/need. And while they're not free :D , they don't have to cost an arm/leg.

3015LFs are very highly thought of, too (for good reason), although with these you really need a mid-range driver(s). They only go to 1.5kHz. Different guys use different mids, naturally, but the most popular (again for very good reason) is the 18Sound 6ND410 (6.5" mid). A very loud driver. The 3015LFs move immense air. While the 3015 or 15PR400-equipped 215s are truly fantastic boxes, I don't think I'm too far off base to say that the absolute Caddy of bass cabs is a 215/2x6.5 with 3015LFs & 6ND410s.

If you're looking used, I'd keep an eye on the classifieds here & snag one when it comes available. Doesn't happen too ofen, but it does happen.

The other way, & probably more common, is to go two 115s or two 115 + 6.5 with the above mentioned drivers. Costs more because there are 2 cabinets, but provides modularity. And because more common, you have more chances to get used.

10. coda

coda

thank you the detailed information about those speakers, looking into them now, thanks man..

11. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Banned

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    I love my Traynor YBA200-2. It is a little too crunchy for me at first, but changed out the tube with lower gain and is wicked warm and chewy now.

Stock it's got kind of a Marshall Superbass feel to me - not a bad thing. They can be found on the used market for about $500 or so and new about $800. Great price for a wonderfully under-rated sleeper head!

12. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

+1 on the Hartke LH500/1000. I love mine. Best part is I got it on the classifieds for $250!

13. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

I use an SWR SM500 mostly, and sometimes a GBE 750..the SWR has a tube pre, The GBE is much louder and has a tube and solid state channel that can be blended. Both of these heads sound great and are nice and quiet. I pair them with a 4X10 and sometimes a 4x10 and 2x10 for larger or outside jobs. I tried a 2x10 and 1x15 together but the 2 cab combo of 10"s is way better! (all Mesa cabs)

14. SpottedBass

SpottedBass

"... Tonight I'm using the LM3 with a 102P cab in a small pub gig. Light weight, packs away easy in my car, and sounds great."

I've got a 102p with a GK MB-500 sitting on top. Thinking of replacing the GK with an LM3 as it seems to keep the Cab sound tighter on the low end when I tried it at GC. My worry is that since GC is not the best place to hear an amp/cab, I may not like it as much as my current setup - You think the LM3 and 102p will play nicer together than the MB-500? Wondier if I can use my Sansamp with an LM3 to try to get more of a Geddy Lee tone?

15. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I am using a MarkBass LM800 tube at the "winter" practice room. Don't let go of your G-K to fast. Just can't seem to get the tight, up-front, fast response I like from the LM. Just my experience.

To the OP if you want a micro with a true tube driven preamp look at the G-K MB Fusion.