1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need Advise - Looking for an Acoustic bass with decent volume

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DutchBass, Feb 17, 2014.

1. DutchBass

DutchBass

Hey everyone!

I have been a member of these forums for a long time now. I don't post very often but I read the topics here on a daily base.

Some might call me a lurker :bag: hehe

I would really appreciate your advice. There are so many people here with extensive knowledge of these things. I'm sure you guys can help me out with this.

I'm looking for a fully (no semi) acoustic bass guitar which has a decent volume. Me and my band have been brainstorming about doing more gigs outside and in some of these places I do not have acces to electricity.

I have played on a few acoustic basses sofar but when I jammed on these with our guitarist the bass could not be heared at all :mad:
    The volume was way too soft...

Can you guys give me some advice on nice fully acoustic bass guitars to try out?
  2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

It takes roughly three times as much energy to generate bass sound as to generate treble guitar sound. A conventionally guitar-sized guitar is not going to generate that energy without some sort of boost from electricity. That's why most "acoustic bass guitars" are actually acoustic / electric basses.

If you truly need an acoustic option, you should look at a guitarron or an upright bass.
  3. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

What JS said is probably the best idea if you want to go fully acoustic but if you are looking for a good ABG as a place to start you can't go wrong with the Breedlove Atlas Studio now on sale at The Perfect Bass for well under $500 with the TB discount applied (normally sold to $900). I am considering getting some kind of small battery/electric amp like a Roland cube or something to augment the sound in just such situations but the bass itself is a great bass.
  4. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Battery powered amp maybe?
  5. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Forget about gigging with a fully (no semi) acoustic bass guitar. You must amplify it.
  6. DutchBass

DutchBass

So basically there are no fully acoustic bass guitar on the market that can be heared properly when playing along with someone on an acoustic guitar and a drummer that's on a cajon?

I wasn't expecting that, hmm, that's really dissapointing. I already envisioned myself being able to stand my ground without amplification :(
  7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

If I use a pick and play super aggressive with my Morgan Monroe ABG, I can almost hear myself over an acoustic guitar. Not a great solution in any case.

Am amp of some kind is really needed IME. Even a small battery powered one.
  9. Jefff

Jefff

I owned a Tacoma Thunderchief that could hold it's own with a couple of acoustic guitars unamplfied, with no problem.

I tried them all before I bought, even the Taylor. The Tacoma was the only one that could handle it.

It was very string sensitive however. It only really liked Elixers at about 50.00 a set.

I got about 6 months out of a set.
  10. donn

donn

"They said it couldn't be done ..."

But of course it can be done. All you need is to build a "guitar" approaching the size of an upright bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=383be9J0zPk

In my opinion you'd get better quality sound from a real upright bass, but I guess this thing is slightly easier for guitar players, and it's easier to get it into a car - I believe the neck is detachable.
  11. IronSpatula

IronSpatula

I agree - better quality sound from an upright. WAY better in my opinion. The Rigel is a beautiful instrument and a very cool idea, but I'm not digging all that fret noise in the video. I guess the action could be raised, but at that point why not just learn to play on a real DB?

A serviceable DB can be had in the same price range as the Rigel, and would be much more versatile. It will be a greater time investment to learn to play properly but well worth it considering all the new possibilities it would open up. :)

Otherwise, the ABG + battery-powered amp idea gets my vote. But having not used a battery-powered bass amp, I have to ask, how is the low-end extension on those?
  12. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I bought the new Martin BCPA4 it's pricy but I love it loud and rich sounding even with stock strings.
  13. MD

MD

I think string height and a different approach to right hand technique by the player would go a long way to coaxing a nicer tone out of that Rigel. I'd skip the frets as well, IMO.
  14. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

I've been down this exact same rabbit hole. I'm in an acoustic band, and I wanted a an ABG to keep up. Ended up getting a Dean. Not even remotely loud enough unamplified. I ended up dumping about $1,500 on a DB and never looked back. It's actually possible for me to play too loud now without being plugged in (try playing a DB in a corner facing out to the audience. Damn!). I wish I would've just got the DB sooner and got an extra 5 months of time in on it.
  15. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I've had the same experience with the Thunderchief and it sounds good plugged in too.
  16. DogBone

DogBone

Most ABG's, nope.

A couple of unique ones like the Tacoma Thunderchief, or Ernie Ball Earthwood (good luck finding one)...probably.

An unamplified ABG will have the best "chance" with a full body, bit higher action and played aggressively with a pick. It won't be deep or bassy, but it MAY at least be audible! :)

Alternatives: Battery amp, upright bass, washtub bass, or give up and strum chords on acoustic guitar.

Good luck!
  17. Scott1

Scott1 Supporting Member

I am far from an expert but I have been trying out acoustic basses for a couple of years, with the same thought in mind. I have come to the conclusion that if you need to be wholly acoustic a double bass is the only thing that will be heard in the mix.

I chose to stay with my electric and will be purchasing a battery powered amp to play in those instances that will be now 'mostly acoustic' at acoustic volumes.
  18. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

Been there done that and the answer is no. I owned a Westerly Guild B50, just about the biggest one there is. Maybe Tacoma has one about the same size. Great tone and build quality, but unsatisfactory without amplification. I sold it because it put my arm to sleep reaching around the thing.

So no, there is no such thing. I know nothing about the Guitarron other than my experiences in a Mexican restaraunt. They seem to be louder, but still pretty unweildy.

So sorry, you need one of these. Get a decent quality plywood upright and you wont regret it:
    [​IMG]
  19. Packinton

Packinton

20. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Or similar..

But even then it may have to be mic'd.