Need air in your tires? Get out your Visa!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gustobassman, Nov 15, 2013.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    I have never seen this before. What happened to just asking the gas station attendant to turn on the air? The machine did not take cash either. Just the good 'ol plastic....

Attached Files:

2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I have never seen one of those. The ones around here all take coins. I just use my own air compressor.

lowsound
  3. elgecko

elgecko

4. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

Yup, they have to give you a code or turn it on from inside.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Heck yeah they do. We just parked by the machine. $1.25 for air? Wow...
  7. Richland123

Richland123

I encountered a credit card air machine outside of Chicago last month when I needed air in my tires. I never saw one before. It cost $1.00 for several minutes. Air is free at gas stations around here.
  8. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

They've pretty much replaced the free air nozzle around these parts. $1.00 seems to be the going rate. All the machines I've seen take coin too.

I actually don't mind them. You can set desired pressure and it will fill the tire to that level then stop automatically, so it does give you a little convenience in return for you money.
  9. hbarcat

hbarcat

I know this is nitpicking, but . . . . I can watch the air pressure building on the gauge and it stops filling "automatically" when I see the tire has reached the desired pressure and I pull the nozzle away.

The only reason it costs $1 to put air in your tires is because enough people are willing to pay that much. If most people considered $20 to be irrelevant pocket change, then putting air in your tires would cost you $20.
  10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

They all seem to "charge" around here. But the gas station attendants are always willing to give out the code or turn it on for free when asked. I've used a few gas stations to fill up bicycle tires and have yet had to pay for air.
  11. mcnach

mcnach

That's outrageous: a business charging for services they provide!
    ;)
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

When I was a kid in the 70's I recall being bemused by signage stating "Free Air". These days the signs say "Air" and it's still free. In the 'old days' all the petrol stations were owned by the major oil companies. These days we have a couple of independent chains importing petrol to keep the majors somewhat honest. I predict free air will continue in NZ.
  13. P Town

P Town Guest

You can buy a small compressor for twenty bucks that plugs into the 12 power outlet, (used to be called a cigarette lighter) that you keep in the car for topping off a low tire. I use a better quality unit that cost about 60 bucks. Add a set of tire plugs, and the two tools needed to install the plugs, along with a pair of pliers, and you can fix a flat yourself in minutes. I keep this stuff in every vehicle, and have used it a number of times to fix my own, and other peoples flats quickly, and easily. It is easier to pull out whatever causes a leak, and install a plug than it is to install the spare.
  14. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Tire plugs on radial tires can cause the belts to split and fail- the best way to repair one uses a self-vulcanizing patch. Also, Fix-A-Flat and Slime are really bad for aluminum wheels. The "Power Port" is made for low current devices, not air compressors and lighters.

I definitely agree about having a small compressor for those who drive on highways and make frequent long trips but if someone spends all of their time in the city/near their home, keeping a compressor at home and checking their tire pressure frequently doesn't cost much or take a lot of time- they just have to do it, rather than thinking "That's for other people to do".
  15. P Town

P Town Guest

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Wise investment. It buys you time until you can have the inspected and/or repaired...free service at participating car care centers if you carry AAA coverage. Gotta love the tire pressure sensors on the newer automobiles! My specs are el-whacko: 40 psi front, 49 psi rear with a sensor threshold of ~5 psi (?). Allows you to catch a fault before visually perceptible.

FTR, tires don't just "lose" air. Granted, tire pressure fluctuates some degree with ambient temperature and running temp but the change is generally consistent t/o all 4 tires. Just dropping one tire? 9 times out of 10 it's an impaled object.

Riis
  17. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Those automated ones are troublesome. I once checked with a guage after using one and it lowered the pressure to 17psi
    When it was set for 33psi.

You can blow a bike tire with those pretty easily, they move a high volume pretty quickly. Just be careful if you insist on doing it.
  18. COBRARI

COBRARI

For $35.00 at Harbor Freight (and other similiar type stores), pick up a small pancake compressor.
    Get the inexpensive hose and tire inflating attachment.
    Runs on 120 volts.
    Not only will it keep your tires inflated but you can use it for other small jobs that require air. You know.... like your kids small swimming pool.
    You can use it to blow the dust out around the pickups on your bass too.
  19. Richland123

Richland123

I, too, have owned a small air compressor that plugs into a power port for well over 20 years and it has not only helped me in several situations but I have also been able to help others as well. In addition, it is great to have to inflate tires on 2 wheel carts to move band gear.
  20. duff beer

duff beer

I don't pay for air at stations. I remove and install the summer and winter tires for my car myself and use a portable compressor to top them up when needed. I keep it in the trunk and have used it several times to top up low tires for people.
  21. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Oh definitely! I've seen people do it haha. I generally just hit it with short 2 second bursts until the tire is stiff as desired.