Need Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Livewire, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee Supporting Member

Hi guys,

So I've been playing bass for the past 9 years, in and out of bands, bought and sold a bunch of gear. I currently play a Gallien Krueger 700RBII with an avatar 210 that has been sitting in my basement and been gigged with probably only once. I'm looking for a new set up and sound. I want something that is still gigable, but basically a warmer sound. I play a wide variety of music.

I've been in plenty of rehearsal studios in NYC and played a bunch of Ampegs. I'm not about to get into the whole nonsense that GK is better than Ampeg drama, but I think I'm a bigger Ampeg fan over GK.

I've looked in the SVT Pro 7, but I'm hesitant to drop $800 on a head that has known quality control issues. I've also eyed the Ampeg 115HPT combo amp. I've played it once in a studio and loved it, but it is 80+ pounds and only a 115, but it does have caster to help transport it. Would it cut it in a small gig situation? My budget is about $800, and will probably end up selling the GK and avatar if I find something I love. So basically, what are your opinions? Thanks!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Try the Ampeg PF500 head, and most importantly, 2 of the PF115's. A single 15 is nice, but 2 of them is where you get loud volume. (suggested this because you stated Ampeg). Otoh, any good 300+ watt amp paired with enough spkr to get the volume you require. As a minimum, 4x10, 2x12, 2x15 are good "mid-sized" cabs. Real loud volume = 8x10, 4x12, etc. You might also try keeping your GK head, (great amp), sell the 210 and get a bigger, better cab. Add a Sansamp pedal in front to get Ampeggish tones.

3. srxplayer

srxplayer

I own a BA115HP (non tube) version but it's the same amp. It's not a bad sounding combo but it's no gig amp. Don't waste your money. Mine is an 85 pound bedroom practice amp.

Have you considered first starting with a different head first and pairing it up with the Avatar? The Ampeg PF like the other post suggested paired with the Avatar may sound pretty good. It would be a starting point anyway.