1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Livewire, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee Supporting Member

Hi guys,

So I've been playing bass for the past 9 years, in and out of bands, bought and sold a bunch of gear. I currently play a Gallien Krueger 700RBII with an avatar 210 that has been sitting in my basement and been gigged with probably only once. I'm looking for a new set up and sound. I want something that is still gigable, but basically a warmer sound. I play a wide variety of music.

I've been in plenty of rehearsal studios in NYC and played a bunch of Ampegs. I'm not about to get into the whole nonsense that GK is better than Ampeg drama, but I think I'm a bigger Ampeg fan over GK.

I've looked in the SVT Pro 7, but I'm hesitant to drop $800 on a head that has known quality control issues. I've also eyed the Ampeg 115HPT combo amp. I've played it once in a studio and loved it, but it is 80+ pounds and only a 115, but it does have caster to help transport it. Would it cut it in a small gig situation? My budget is about $800, and will probably end up selling the GK and avatar if I find something I love. So basically, what are your opinions? Thanks!
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Try the Ampeg PF500 head, and most importantly, 2 of the PF115's. A single 15 is nice, but 2 of them is where you get loud volume. (suggested this because you stated Ampeg). Otoh, any good 300+ watt amp paired with enough spkr to get the volume you require. As a minimum, 4x10, 2x12, 2x15 are good "mid-sized" cabs. Real loud volume = 8x10, 4x12, etc. You might also try keeping your GK head, (great amp), sell the 210 and get a bigger, better cab. Add a Sansamp pedal in front to get Ampeggish tones.
  3. srxplayer

srxplayer

I own a BA115HP (non tube) version but it's the same amp. It's not a bad sounding combo but it's no gig amp. Don't waste your money. Mine is an 85 pound bedroom practice amp.

Have you considered first starting with a different head first and pairing it up with the Avatar? The Ampeg PF like the other post suggested paired with the Avatar may sound pretty good. It would be a starting point anyway.