Need amp suggestions for 60's rock

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AbstractLunatic, Jan 17, 2014.

1. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic

Hey all. I'm new to bass guitar but have been playing 6-string forever. I just got a used AmStd Jazz Bass from a forum member tonight and don't have an amp yet. Stuff I like includes early Zeppelin and Sabbath, Beatles, Doors, Neil Young. Also LOVE Rush! A big part of my life was seeing California Grateful Dead shows(162 in all). And I'm a big fan of STP and so called "stoner rockers" QOTSA and also Fu Manchu.

I was thinking a 4x10 that's not too heavy and a head that is very reliable and good quality.

I'd like to become proficient and join/form a cover band with any song fair game if the band members like it and it gets the ladies dancing.

I have $750 to spend. School me please.
  2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Hartke AK410 and a Hartke LH500. The LH500 you should be able to easily find used for around 200-250. The hartke ak410's are around 450-500 new.
  3. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

I can tell u are excited about funkyebk`s old bass!

Couple things to consider, but your budget will guide part of this: combo or head and cab
    Also, size and wattage.

I like 15s. You are welcome to come over and test mine, I'm in Arvada.
  4. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic

Haha! Yeah, it's right here in my lap. I've been watching the Scott Devine right hand technique lesson over and over tonight but it's a little fast for "this guy". I'm good with a pick but I don't have one within arms reach right now just to keep focused on finger practice. I can tell my right hand fingers are going to be sore for weeks until I develop calluses. But... back to amps.

I'm also in Arvada off 80th and Kip and work at 120th and I-25. I'd love to get together for playing and socializing.

So, as a guitar player, I have a 50W head and 2x12 cab with mismatched speakers. It's good at Plexi and Bassman depending how I set the switches. I like the grunt and was thinking a bass amp with grunt or a pedal that could get me there would be good. But really, I'm totally open to this new instrument and what it will do to open musical doors in my near and distant future.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

I play in zeppelin and black sabbath tribute bands and I get it done with an acoustic 370 and ampeg heritage 4 10. I've also used a svt-450 with the same cab with good results. Find a good deal in the 350 dollar neighborhood for an ampeg 410 and be on the look out for a vintage acoustic 370 with the remaining cash. If you can afford to go over your budget a bit take a look at ampeg v4b tube heads as well.
  7. mrb327

8. mrb327

The list in the Colorado Club of all the stores, check their web sites for stock.

For your price range and liking 60s sound, i would look for tube amps, Orange, Mesa, Ampeg.
    Music go Round in Littleton has lots of used amps, make sure to haggle.

Above all, take your bass. That way you have one constant in your experiment.
  9. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic

I grabbed a Cube 20 XL Bass amp from Drum City today. It's just to give me a little practice amp to prevent me from rushing the purchase of my real amp.

Upping my budget to $900 :)
  10. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

That's a good idea. It gives you something to play through while you save up for something that you really want.
  11. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yeah, I would probably use 15s for the OP's stated goals - scout around for an old Peavey 215D-BW, or a 215 by SWR or Hartke... If you want to go 115s, Ampeg 115s are pretty good for the money, and not bad to move around...

Also, a used G-K 700rb-II, Genz-Benz Neo-Pak 3.5, GBE600, Peavey T-Max, Mark VI or VIII...

Any combination of the above will work well...

- georgestrings
  12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I'd use your guitar amp for now...won't hurt the amp any...it's guitar speakers that can't take, or make, much low frequency, especially in openback cabs, so be careful and don't blow your guitar speakers, but using the amp is fine.

That combo will cure yoir itch for now, so, I'd keep my eyes open for a good, used, 215, or other largish cab you like, and play that with your 50-watter while you save up for a bigger bass amp (takes more power/more speakers to push low end/make a bass as loud as a guitar).

Big tube amps are the bee's knee's, but, you can get a whole lot more power for a whole lot les money with solid state, then use a pedal to get your grunt. Ampeg SVT 3-Pro's, Gallien Kruger 400/800/700RB's, Hartke's LH500, Peavey T-Max or other are all different flavors of good you can score for $200-$400 used. All pro amps, plenty loud, dependable, etc. Or, save up for a real SVT or other big tube amp and it'll probably be the last one you'll ever have to buy. :)
  13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Also, Guitar Center's used website is a good place to look. They'll ship stuff from any store to your local one for pickup, and have some grace period where you can return it if it turns out there's some problem with it or you just plain don't like it.

With $750-$900, shopping used, you shouldn't have a problem getting a good, gig-worthy rig. Quality used stuff is always better than budget model new stuff.
  14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hi and welcome to TB.

You'll get just about ever amp recommendation here on the amp forum. For example, I'm a Gallien-Krueger fanboy, so obviously I recommend checking out G-K. With that said - start here -> http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/

And Cheers.
  15. Scotty DelMar

Scotty DelMar Supporting Member

Nice used GK 800 RB. Bulletproof classic bass amp still highly regarded today by those in the know. Used, not abused Avatar cab. [think neo here, and keep your desired impedance in mind... ask or look before you buy, because many sellers don't bother to list impedance on the used cabs they're selling] 4-10, 2-12, one or two 15s? Done. Budget objective met. Mucho bueno bass tones will come. GRUNT!
  16. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic

I think a pair of 2x10 cabs would be easier to transport and a little more flexible than a single 4x10 cab. But, I'm wondering what the impedance possibilities of amps are. I assume that if I daisy chain a pair of 8ohm cabs, I am at 16 ohms at the back of the amp?
  17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

4 ohms.
  18. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic

So daisy chaining cabs puts them in a parallel circuit? So any combination of multiple cabs is always parallel?
  19. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes and no, you can put casters on a 410 and roll it with other stuff stacked on top - but 210s are easier to lift and put in small cars and whatnot, so its a tradeoff.

"Most" amps don't like anything below 4ohms, so "usually" you'd use either one 4ohm cab or two 8ohm cabs. "Most" cabs are either 8 or 4 ohms, and cabs are "usually" wired in parallel - so two 8ohm cabs would equal a 4ohm load.

Yes - usually.

Yes - usually.

NOTE: There are always exceptions - IE: 2ohm amps, etc.

Does this help?
  20. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic

Very helpful thanks!

I've never used more than one 2x12 cab for my guitar playing so multiple cabs is a new setup for me.

Yes, I have a small car and think loading smaller cabs into the rear hatch will be easier on my back and the tetris puzzle. But, now I'm wondering if I'll ever need more than 4 10" speakers and how would that work in 2x10 cab configurations. I guess if I get to that point, I will get a bigger vehicle and bigger cabs. ;)

Anyway, I think an 8 ohm 2x10 Avatar cab and a 500W amp to start(350w@8 ohms/ 500w@4 ohms) might be a good, scalable setup.
  21. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Standard in bass cabs is parallel connections, so, double cabs = half impedance. Nearly any bass amp is OK at 4ohms.....not so many are good at 2ohms (two 4ohm cabs in parallel).

Don't fall into the trap of thinking "lowest ohms/most power/loudest sound". Speaker sensitivity (how much loud coming out per watt going in) plays a big part, as well as just more speakers gets us bigger/fuller/louder than throwing more power at fewer speakers does. More cones pumping...pushing more air.