1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need amplifier recommendation!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Wiegraf, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Wiegraf

Wiegraf Supporting Member

Need an AMP recommendation and I figure this would be the best place to get one.. Or figure out if this type of amp exists!

Requirements:

High End/Elite Sound (for home recordings + small ensemble/small venue gigs)
    Small + Lightweight (Can it fit in a bag or carry case?)

Price is no object. I play a Conklin 7 string + Double Bass and (less frequently) a Fender Jazz Bass, if that plays a role in your recommendation.

The only thing I have found in my research is the MiniMark and MicroMark by MarkBass.

Thanks for reading!
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Checkout the Gallien-Krueger MB110 Bass Combo Amp
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB110
    [​IMG]
    Tiny: 14.5" x 12.5" x 12.5"
    Lightweight: 21 lbs.
    Powerful: 100 Watts
    Affordable: $299.

Also if you want just an amp - checkout the GK MB200.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Are you looking for just an amp or combo (amp and speaker in the same box) unit?
  4. Chapbass

Chapbass

Price range?

Nice final fantasy tactics reference in your name :) I hated that fight.
  5. Wiegraf

It can either be just the cabinet or a combo.

No price range limitations.

Final Fantasy Tactics, my favorite game evaaah!
  6. B-string

7. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

I fell in love with the MarkBass MINI CMD 121P http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=41. You could possibly put it in a big funky backpack. or at least carry around easily. pretty loud, great sound. DI, external speaker output for hooking to an additional cab. 300 watts If I had the money I'd get that.
    [​IMG]

I'm saving up ( and hoping they drop the price ) on the TC Electronic BG250 2x8 combo. It will fit in a good sized backback. Has good volume.. amazing for its size and weight.
    [​IMG]

25.9 lbs. / 11.75 kg 11.5" x 12.6" x 18.3" http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250-208/

2 8" speakers, external speaker plug, DI out 250 watts with an additional 8 ohm cab hooked up. Not sure what the power is to the 2x8s, I'm guessing abuot 150 watts or so, but I don't know. The GK110 looks great too.
  8. B-string

Just a speaker cabinet won't help you. You have to have an amp to amplify your bass(s) for the speaker cab to work (combo amps this is all in one package).
  9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Genz Benz SM9.2 and a fEARless F210.
  10. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

OP: FWIW, depending on the EQ/volume setting and which optional sealed batteries (Ah) you buy - the Briefcase only runs for about an hour, plus its bigger, weighs more, and cost much more than the GK MB110. The GK MB110 Kicks @$$. But the Briefcase is a nice amp.
  12. Wiegraf

Awesome replies!

Thanks guys, I'll be doing some research and possible testing if I can.
  13. BassistForJesus

BassistForJesus Supporting Member

14. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

I got in on the special deal for the Genz 6.2 at The Perfect Bass. Roughly 4 pounds of goodness that produces up to 600 watts at 4 ohms. Plus has a tube preamp section!!!
  15. B-string

?? No one has mentioned an "entry level" brand yet???
  16. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan

+1 vote for the Acoustic Image Ten2 combo

If I were going to spend more $:
    Jule Amps De-Monique (not so small) + Bergantino CN112
  17. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

I'm curious what models you're talking about. I've been looking for something in the 150 -300 watt range mainly because any of the 20-50 watt practice amps I've tried were nice for practicing, but not loud enough for band practice, or didn't have direct out for playing live with PA support.. There seems to be plenty of great little practice amps, but finding one that can cover personal practice, band practice, small gigs alone or larger gigs with PA support seems to be up in the realm of more expensive amps. But I'd like to be wrong.. If I can find a 110 or 208 similar to the ones mentioned but cheaper, I'd probably pick one up.

I've already gotten spoiled by the lightness of the BG250 115. Lots of the 112 and even 110 amps I've picked up in stores weigh similar if not MORE than the BG250 115
  18. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

19. Linnin

Linnin

20. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Boy, that carvin MB10 sounds great. Compilation to the 208 I'm many ways. Price looks great. DI, external speaker and 250 watts into 4 ohms makes it very similar. I wish I could try one. Searching on TB shows good reviews. Hmm. May rethink the 208. Over $200 cheaper. 1x10 vs 2x8s. I wonder how the volume compares without an external cabinet.