Need an amp for prog metal

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Conzo93, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Conzo93

Conzo93

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector basses
    Hey everyone, having a bit of trouble and I'm between amps right now. I play in a progressive metal band (Zia Regime from Derry, Ireland). I used a Roland Cube 100w amp for ages but it wasn't powerful enough to match the guitars so I sold that and bought a Marshall MB4210 which was 450w and sounded very good, very powerful, definitely gave the place a good shaking which is exactly what I wanted. Problems arose with that involving faulty circuits and wiring and speaker issues, so I've registered a refund so they'll be picking up the amp and now I have to get a new one. I dont want to go down in wattage I'd like to remain around 400-450 watts but I got that amp for a good enough price so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I looked at ashdowns and theyre good but a bit out of my range. I'm looking at Kustom DE210h also
    Cheers
  2. IPYF

IPYF

If you liked the Marshall why didn't you have it replaced? Do you mean that Ashdown is outside your price-range?? There's not many amps with 300+ watts available that are cheaper than an Ashdown. If you could stretch to an Ashdown I think you'd be ok but they're a warmer amp and can sometimes be a bit muddy for technical metal, though that can depend on a lot of factors. What tuning do you play in? I personally always say that for the price you can't look past an Ashdown unit.

My first amp was a 12w Kustom and I had no complaints with that 8 years ago. I've not used a Kustom bass unit since so I'm not qualified to comment on those units.
  3. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Banned

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    Orange Terror Bass 500 should give you what you need. Reliable, light-weight, and easy to get good punchy, warm tone.

Preamp is same as their high $ AD200B with two Ecc83.
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Gallien Krueger MB or RB series. I'd probably look at the MB500 or the 700 RB-II. If your budget allows, take a look at the MB800 or the 1001 RB-II.

I used a GK 2001 RB in my prog metal band for years. It was gloriously awesome.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The choice of spkr cab is more important. No matter how many watts you buy, if all you have to push them is a 2x10, you'll have no volume. Less wattage with more spkrs would be louder. See where this is going? don't skimp out on the spkrs!!
  7. Conzo93

Conzo93

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector basses
    thanks for the tips everyone! will make use of it. yeah RickenBoogie I've been looking at 300w heads and big cabs but theyre pricey enough, I'm also needing to save for a 5 string Spector as well, my whole rig is basically being replaced!
  8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Whatever the budget, put the money on good cabs first. A great big badass amp will sound like poo through a cheap and/or small cab. That's what I'm saying- donm't skimp out on the most important part of your rig.
  9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II :bassist:

MM