1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need an Amp for Small/Medium Venues

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Scott Sauna, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

I'm looking for a somewhat lightweight (I'm a smaller guy) bass amp for moderate volume rock. I am in a grunge/psychedelic/experimental trio. Our drummer isn't very loud compared to most hard rock or metal band and the guitarist/lead singer is a bit timid so I was thinking 200+ watts. My budget is $500 since being a college student doesn't leave a ton of money left at the end of every month. I hate my small Peavey amp because no matter how I EQ it, it is just too boomy and my Thunderbird needs to get its' signature growl through the mix. Any recommendations would be appreciated. :)
  2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Not that I'm going to be much help here, but for others to help, it might be good to be specific about what you are starting with - Peavey makes a LOT of gear - what, exactly, are you using now?
  3. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

A Peavey 158. Only 15 watts. Pretty sure it's more than 15 though because with a drummer and guitarist I can hear myself in the mix just fine. It would be an okay amp for the small wine bar down the street but not an outside gig in the park or school.
  4. emjei

emjei

There is a Genz Benz 6.0 listed here for a killing price
  5. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

I was considering the GK MB115 Combo since it is light and Ive heard it can gig properly. It is also perfectly in my budget.
  6. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

I'd go used and separate amp and speaker cab. The cab should be your priority in terms of $ spent.

If you want to go new I like the GK MB combo series, they're light and have 200 watts. And they're in your budget. Great tone and can be gigged if your band is moderate in volume.
  7. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

ah, there you go, a friend of mine uses it and she does blues gigs with it all the time. She's not big but she can easily schlep it.

Edit: what's nice with the new series is that you can then buy a matching powered cab if/when you need more firepower.
  8. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I have a Carvin MB 15/15 combo. 200 watts with the MB15 and 250 with the 15 extension. The combo weighs 32 lbs the extension is 30 lbs. The combo itself is great but the extension cab adds a lot. Both shipped were about 600.00. The combo itself is about 400.00 shipped. Also has a pre and post direct line out for the PA if needed.
  9. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

+1 to GK combos
  10. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Ampeg B100R if you can find one.
  11. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

I use the TCE BG-250. It's a beastly sounding 35lb 15 and tweeter combo. A/B it with anything in it's class. It'll surprise you.
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

A proper sized used Peavey will leave you money for important things like girls and booze and textbooks.
  13. RS66LB

RS66LB

For around $400 you could get a new Carvin MB210 -basically a 2x10 cab with a built in 250 watt bass amp, I'm pretty sure it's under 40 lbs as well. Either way good luck and take care
  14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

I gig with mine (MB115) each week to a very large room - 2500 SQ feet and 300 people with only the singers voices PA'd and it keeps up no problem, with plenty of room to spare. Great GK sound, lightweight...seems to be what you are looking for. With a 15% off coupon, I got mine for $340.

The TC 250 is also a great choice. I played it recently at GC and liked it a lot. I would have liked to play it without all the extra noise associated with a GC, but it was nice. It had some features you might like - built in tuner, changeable effect and such.

Can't go wrong with either - just try each of them and see which you like best and sound the best to you.