1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need an Ibanez aficionado... Have an SR question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fatbassman, Jan 3, 2011.

1. fatbassman

fatbassman

Just bought an SR405. I dig it. When I bought it I played an SR505... I've been GAS-ing for it since. I'm going to have to get one, but I have questions first though.

When you google the SR505, it seems that there are many incarnations of this bass. Must be a model evolution. Kind of like a car model - they evolve and (hopefully) get better with each new release.

The newest SR505's have Barts and a mid frequency switch (looks like a coil tap switch), and all appear to come in a see through red.

Older ones are the same with no switch, but otherwise the same?

Slightly older seems to offer a translucent black option.

Older still, I'm not even sure they have Barts and colors are not translucent.

Am I close? Can anyone offer guidance on years and features?

Thanks.
  2. SR505bassman

SR505bassman

Not sure what you mean about the translucent red or black (older models?). All the SR505's are Mahogany Brown now. The switch is new this year - I have last years model (love it) and it did not come with the switch, but has the Barts and looks pretty much the same except for the piece at the base of the neck that is a lighter color - that's new also. Sorry - not sure when they switched over to the Mahogany Brown, that's all I've ever seen them in. Some of the other "SR" series models come in other colors (presitge, GSR, GSRM) but not the SR505.

Good luck with getting more info, sorry I can't offer more.
  3. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    Here's a little history from the Ibby vault;

Let's start with the original, the SR05. This was the model that all SDGR5's are based on, and in my opinion...it was/is the best.

[​IMG]

These ran from 1988-89 and are now hard to find in reasonable condition. More frequent to be found are original SR800LE's and 1000's (of which i have 2 in CB)

The SR505 was first issued in 1993. It featured a light American Maple body and 3 piece Maple neck with the same dimensions as todays. EMG select J5 pickups and black diecast hardware/tuners and came in 3 finishes [BK/TT/TR].

[​IMG]

This model ran until 1995.

In 1996 the SR505 evolved to the current dual soapbar pickup style, the body & neck remained Maple, but the upgrade to the new IBZ ADX pickups and Vari-Mid EQ helped give the new SDGR's a bit more thump than their double J predecessors...

[​IMG]

In 1997 Ibanez Released the Ergodyne series, aimed at the working bassist that wanted a lighter, more comfortable bass than the SDGR's. Made from Luthite, and sporting a 3D body- the newly released models meant Ibanez could cut down on the variations of the SR series. Now years 97/98 and 99 all were absent seasons for the SR505.

But the missing 505 was resurrected in season '01 as the SR480. This model is basically the current version, Mahogany body, DX pickups and the AccuCast bridge are all seen in the next G 505's...

[​IMG]

In 2006 the 505 returned to the SR lineup. Taking the best parts from the 485/495 series from seasons past such as the Wenge/Bubinga necks and Accucast bridges, the new series boasted powerful Bartollini Pickups made specifically for the 505. This was (and still is) the best selling SR 5 string that ibanez has made to date.

[​IMG]

And now for 2010/11 seasons the 505 has included the Mid Frequency switch, and the neck is now Jatoba/Bubinga.

Well there you have it...as you can see i kinda get into having reasons to get the old books out and dig up some ibby history for you all :)
  4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    Mine had Bart soap bars, and a 3 band eq. Nicest playing bass I ever had, wish I kept it.

[​IMG]
  5. SR505bassman

SR505bassman

Nice post Swin - thanks for the history :D
  6. jmon

jmon

You seem to know a ton about the Ibanez basses. I currently have a SR3000 with the Bart Customs and the Vari-mid preamp. I've been looking for a 5 version and I'm still looking. :cool: I needed a 5 though so I bought a brand new SR505. It plays so sweet. I absolutely love the neck on this bass. What I'm not crazy about is the electronics. It currently has the Bart MK-1 soapbars and Bart preamp. Will a set of EMGdc40s fit in place of the Barts? I would also throw the EMG- BQS system in it which is very much like the vari-mid preamp which I love in my 3000. I gotta believe this PU pre combo would make this bass sing! Thanks for any help or advice!
  7. fatbassman

fatbassman

Swin,

Thanks so much for the model history. Very helpful, and appreciated. One more question if you don't mind... The easy open battery box... New for the 2010/11? Or a bit before?
  8. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

It's on my 2009.
  9. eirik_

eirik_

i also have an older model sr505, definetely oil finished, not black, not red. it has barts, no switch, not missing the switch at all. there is a sr525 at the music shop by me now, i tried the mid-switch thingy, didn't really like or dislike it, just thought it was an extra toy. easy open battery box is on the older models like mine too. mine is 2009.
  10. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    To be honest i'm not too familiar with those pickups...but looking at their specs on the web, it looks like you should have a trouble free install...
  11. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    not new...its been around for a few seasons now.
  12. tutumiley

tutumiley

I just picked up my new sr505 tonight [my 1st 5 after 30+ yrs. as pro bassist] Got it mainly for easy playability. Also looks & sounds cool. All I can say so far is after trying many 5s for much more $$ this is the one I chose. I think I'm digging it....
  13. sv_heavymetal

sv_heavymetal

Swin, I want to ask you if you know what kind of coil do the ADXs have (on the Ibanez SR506 97)?? Are they split coil or single coil?? Thanks so much
  14. sps500

sps500

Swin thanks for the brilliant low down on the Ibby's!
  15. sv_heavymetal

sv_heavymetal

Sorry, can you tell me if the ADX pickups are split coil o single coil??
  16. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    The ADX's should be splits...
  17. NortyFiner

NortyFiner

This is the SR505 that I have. Good bass. I use it when I am in a jazzy kind of mood, or I just want that low B thump.
  18. sv_heavymetal

sv_heavymetal

Mmmm... I think that my SR 506NT's soapbars are split coil (neck) and single coil (bridge), because when I use only the brige pickup, it sounds jazzy. But the neck pickup ( You have told that it should be a split coil soapbar) sounds very heavy. Can this be possible? I have never modified my bass pickups.

Thanks so much
  19. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    They are the same pickup, the tonal difference is just a matter of location & EQ.
  20. bassmasta94

bassmasta94

Ive got the SR500 4 string model from last year, same thing except without the switch, and that lighter piece at the base of the neck. The nicest playing bass ive ever had. The neck is just so easy to play on. I love it!