1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need an odd power supply

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by oniman7, Dec 6, 2012.

1. oniman7

oniman7

An employee of my dad's recently brought in an M Audio Omnistudio that he was no longer using and gave it to my Dad since he knew I was interested. He was selling it for $75 on Craigslist but called that a "Craigslist tax" for the people he had to deal with and said I could have it for free. The catch is there's no power supply. No big deal, I was going to buy an Mbox (which would have limited me to Pro Tools LE) and a couple mics for $150, so I figured I can be bothered to hunt down a power supply for it.

So, I get it the other day and I turn it around and read that it needs a 9V 3500mA power supply. First I went through everything I could think of in my house, but none of them had a rating higher than an amp or so. Then I went on the internet and searched, and I can't seem to find anything with that kind of amperage at 9V. Is there something I'm missing?
  2. oniman7

oniman7

I tried the Google search again, phrased a little differently, and found one on Avid's website. As long as 3.5 Amps is the same as 3500 miliamps, I'm good to go. I should probably learn a thing or two about electronics...
  3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    The two mAs are the same. Different way of writeing it. 1 Amp is 1000mA

Interesting thing about mA is that the unit is not pulling that. 3.5 is A LOT. Usually the maker will SAY it draws what their power supply is rated at so you'll think you need to buy their power supply, a very high mark up item.

The 3 things that really matter are the voltage, AC or DC and jack polarity.

Amps do matter but to a lesser extent. As long as you're not below the units actual draw you're good. I be surprised if the units pulling 2.