Need better IEM foam

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by adamaarts, Feb 12, 2014.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

At my church we are all are on IEM's. We just got some shure es315's for the bass players and drummers. I live the sound but I find that the foam for the buds I am using doesn't isolate very well and I find myself being overpowered by the drums behind me even when they aren't in my mix.

I need some recommendations for better foam/rubber buds or whatever they are called, for better isolation and comfortable. I don't know any of the types or what I am using now, but I think it's rubberized, and the diameter doesn't seem large enough to fully plug my ear, but when I press with my fingers to fully isolate the mix sounds way better.

Any help is appreciated.

2. mrmills

mrmills

Are the inserts molded to the shape of your inner ear? They will always give a better level of isolation than generic cram-in-the-ear types.

3. adamaarts

Right now it's just generic.

4. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

there are many foam tips that you can get for what i assume you have se315's (not es315?)...you can go custom, but i have been using the black foam tips for my 425's, and these you can buy as a pack...but there are the triple flange which are also washable (dont recommend that for the black foams)...it could be that the size foamies yo uare using aren't the right size for your ear canal too!....there should of been a mix pack that you would have got when purchasing...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. adamaarts

Yes se315's. They are the church's not mine, and the box that has all the extra buds doesn't have anything larger. That's why I'm opting to get my own.

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Look into turning your off-the-shelf buds into custom fit with Sugru. Works really well if you don't want to invest in audiologist molds for custom IEMs but want better fit, comfort, and isolation.

Comes in colors. Use some for the ear pieces and some (in a second pass) to wrap the wires so they stay comfortably over your ears.

8. ggunn

ggunn

Generic foam buds will never give you decent isolation. You'll need to spend a few bucks on custom molded IEMs to get that.

9. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

not true...i have great isolation with the shure black foamies...this is kinda a myth but kinda not...with custom molded you just get a much easier fit and much easier to put in the ears, and for those that the generic ones don't fit quite right yes you do get better isolation...

at the end of a gig i really have to dig out the black foams from my ears...

10. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member