Need cheap J pups so I can donate a bass to charity

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jim C, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I have 2 J project basses that I will never use (an SX and a parts bass).
    I don't have pups for either.
    Where can I buy some cheap pups so I can donate these so some kids can have a bass to play?
  2. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

The cheapest ones I know of new are Carvins, which are actually very good. Right now their stacked humbuckers are on sale for less than the single coils, at $40 apiece, so you'd be in it for about $170 with shipping. Other than that, I'd say check classifieds and CL.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/group/bass_pickups

EDIT: On second look, I think those are for 5-string. But the 4-string single-coils are $45.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/J99
  4. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

I have some SX jazz pups with short leads that I will be happy to donate to you... Also look up dragonfire pickups..i think they are $11 and are pretty hot, decent sounding pickups.

PM me if you want my Sx Jazz pups.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Jim, I have a pair I will be taking out of a Squier Standard J that you can have ... they are the same length, does that matter? .. also, what kind of time frame are you looking, the bass is not in my hands at the moment, and I am not sure when I will be getting it back ... nice jesture, glad to help ...
  7. bobbybass85

bobbybass85 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  8. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

PM if you want some cheap Peavey pickups.
  9. bumperbass

bumperbass

10. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

If i had some, i would gladly donate them. It sounds like between floridabwoy and tjh you will be covered.

Good Luck!
  11. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    My guitar player, who is a sort of pickup fetishist, has tried almost everything on his Strat: Klein, Seymour Duncan, Fender CS, Suhr, and so on, but he told me that Tonerider were pretty good for their price, and Dragonfly, being incredibly cheap, had a good price/quality ratio.
    Ever checked on ebay?

btw, I have a pair old mim j pickups (early ones, 1991, same size for neck and bridge), but I live in Italy...
  12. Crater

Crater

13. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Thanks for all the support on this one.
    The charity is an arts cooperative that my cousin has been involved in since the mid 80's
    http://as220.org/about/
    Floridabwoy and NKBassman - will send you both a PM; I do need the traditional long / short J Pups for both basses and would be happy to pay shipping
    Thanks for your generosity
  14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i have two mij jb62 bass pickups at my house never used them, because i put the cs 60s in as soon as i got the bass
  15. Luvie

Luvie

+1 on the Toneriders. I have a set and they're great.
  16. waterboy

waterboy Supporting Member

I've got a set of Duncan Designed out of a Squier VM fretless that you can have if they'll work for you.

EDIT: I'll measure the pickups when I get home and let you know the size(s).
  17. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

MEASURE THE PICKUP ROUTS!!!

For inexpensive basses, there is no such thing as a "standard" J pickup anymore. Some have the USA sizes, others have two of one size, even others have two of the other size, and still others have odd sizes. Measure to make sure you get good fitting pickups. An extra five minutes and ten dollars could save you a ton of headaches later.
  18. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Both of these bodies are routed for the standard Fender J pups with the bridge pickup being longer.
    I realize that I could install other combo's but both have mounting holes and the correct size route
  19. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Jim, thanks for posting the link ... looks like a cool deal all the way around ... you doing ok for strings to toss on 'em ?? .. I have a few sets of take off rounds around here with some life in 'em if you need them ...
  20. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Another vote for GFS pickups! My P that I use for everything has their P pup in it. My main guitar also has pickups from them. All good pups!