1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need clef help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by coolpie, Jan 9, 2014.

1. coolpie

coolpie

hey guys, i have a problem and i thought the best place to go is here. so i have been playing bass for a year, but i would just read tabs and jam with friends. this year i am required to play bass in jazz band and concert band. this is requiring me to learn bass clef. i know treble clef because naturally i play sax and clarinet. i just need to know what the best way to approch bass clef is.
    -Andrew:bassist:
  2. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Disclosures:
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system
    Bass clef...also known as "F" clef....if you notice the 2 dots in the clef sign are around the F note on the staff...treble clef is also a "G" clef...the curly portion surrounds the "G" note...The notes are in the same sequence on both...
  3. belacqua16

belacqua16

4. Jamerman

Jamerman

I always just learnt the space between the bottom two lines is an A on bass clef, on treble it's a F, and then you just sort of work the others out. Although not a lot of people do it like that so you might wanna listen to the other guys first
  5. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Lines - Good Boys Do Fine Always.

Spaces - All Cows Eat Grass. Never have come up with something for the B except it's the space note below "middle" C.

The D in the middle of the clef is my visual home base. Of course where those notes are located, and which octave is the fly speck in, comes with practice. Speaking of practice take some sheet music with you and read when you have a moment. IMO you gotta know the name of the fly speck first. Next is where will you find that on your fretboard. After that hopefully see the fly speck and your fingers don't need to know the name they just go to the fretboard where that note is located.

After that slow down and get the correct beat, or note duration, for the fly speck. Little baby steps.

Good luck.