1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need electronic drum kit recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by invader3k, Jan 19, 2014.

1. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

Hey all. This may be heresy to some, but here goes:

We currently practice in my basement. We run everything through a Jamhub and headphones, except for drums. Our drummer uses a traditional acoustic set.

The drums are loud, and drive our dog crazy, even though my wife and son and the dog are upstairs (we practice in the evening, so them leaving for several hours on end isn't a reasonable option). It doesn't help that our basement area isn't finished or insulated. The idea of getting an electronic drum kit is very tempting. Of course, our drummer would have to agree to play on one (I think he would, but I'd be footing the bill). The other benefit would be that he wouldn't have to pull his kit out of our basement every time we have a gig.

Anyone have recommendations for a current kit that offers decent sound and won't fall apart? I'm wide open on price range, but probably wouldn't want to spend more than a grand. Thanks.

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Roland would be my first choice and Yamaha would be the second.

3. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Our drummer has a Roland and it works great. We don't use headphones for practice, but run direct at low volumes through monitors. Another benefit is they allow us to get some low volume gigs that we couldn't pull off with his accoustic kit. He also can leave his accoustic kit at home for his practice. Would he rather play his accoustic kit, yes. But it make life easier for practice, and adds a few extra gigs a year they we wouldn't normally get.

4. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I am a drummer too, and that's my preference, and in that order. If you can, get one with at least a mesh snare, for feel. If all of the pads are rubber, your drummer may not like them.

If the electronic kit turns out to be a no-go, there are things you can do to make acoustic drums more quiet. Get an acrylic shield and soundproof panels to go on top and behind the drum kit. Have the drummer use hot rod sticks, mike the drums, etc.

Personally I prefer electronic kits, but I started out on one.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. invader3k

Thanks guys. I'll check on the Roland kits. Drummer said he'd be on board with it. Any specific models or features to look for?

7. Stewie26

I have a Roland TD10 in my jam room. It has the mesh heads and most drummers seem to like it even if they have never played on a E-kit before. What ever you get make sure it has mesh heads.
    [​IMG]

8. pedroims

pedroims

Are you looking a kit for practice only? I bought an Alesis DM-8 for that purpose, but I wont use it in a live situation.

9. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred

That room is the bombdiggity.

10. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Roland TD-30. That is all.

11. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Roland kit with mesh head will be everybody's favorite choice I'd say. They are the industry leader in my opinion. Yamaha makes great products as well.

My only caution is this, playing an electronic kit is very different than playing acoustic kits. The cymbals in particular do not respond to touch and feel the same way.

I saw Omar Hakim do a clinic on one once. He said that he approaches it as a different instrument. The downside is that if your drummer only plays on electronic kits except for live performance it will not be as easy as you'd think.

That being said, for band practice they can be a godsend.

12. invader3k

Looks like those go for around $4500. Bit steep for me.

And yes, this will be used pretty much just for our rehearsal space.

13. Mtnman

Mtnman

14. Rob22315

Rob22315

I got a great Roland drum kit for our church band for $1500 after some internet coupons and some wrangling with GC/Musicians Friend. I think Roland used to have an intro kit that sold for under $1000 - we had one but the electricals started to fall apart after a couple of years of playing.

Look on CL for folks who think they want to get into drums and change their minds. Some nice deals can be had if you're patient and don't mind a model that's a year or two old.

15. invader3k

Ended up buying a Roland TD-11 KS kit this morning (the one with the mesh snare). We'll see how it goes. The main thing I'm going to like is not having to lug the drummer's kit in and out of my basement every time we have a gig.

16. Stewie26

Congrats. I am sure they will work out for you. If you get a chance post a photo.

17. invader3k

Will do. I have a decent little practice space going now. I'll throw some pics up after the kit arrives and I have things set up.

18. invader3k

Got the Roland kit set up last night. Unfortunately, the kick pedal is back-ordered. Our drummer is coming over tonight with his for practice. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I played around with it a bit last night, and was actually quite impressed by the sound quality...but that was without other instruments playing.

19. Stewie26

Here is a tip.
    The first thing you might want to do is experiment with different kick drum voices while playing bass lines along with it. If your unit has a sequencer built in, then program a simple drum pattern and play along with it until you find a kick drum voice that sits well with your favorite bass guitar tone. I have found that this makes a huge difference
    with the overall band mix. Also, best to do this alone without the distraction of other persons in the room. Good luck and have fun.

20. DogBone

DogBone

Our drummer switched to a Roland set last year, not sure of the model but it was pricey and it came with the mesh heads.

Our rehearsal volume is now at conversational level, and at our live shows our stage volume isn't much louder.

It's opened quite a few opportunities for us in the live scene as well.

We now have regular electric gigs at several local establishments that are typically "acoustic only", and even a few bigger ticket places (fancy schmancy winery restaurants) that had never considered a live band before. Much off this is due to our ability to have complete control over our volume thanks to the Rolands.

Plus they do sound great! :bassist:

21. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

Yamaha DTX950K kinda pricey but should compete against the roland. It's about $5400 on sweetwater.