Need encouragement to finish high school

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Feb 27, 2006.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Yes I know i should finish it. One part of mind understands I should, but I don't ever seem motivated by anything unless I get something emotionally fufilling out of it-part of the reason I love music and art. There is no satisfaction I get out of school. I only go cause the law says I have to. Personally I feel I have better things I could be doing with my time. I still really wish I felt the urge to finish. I don't know how to motivate myslef to do something I don't give a s*** about. HELP!!

2. txbasschik

txbasschik

Here is motivation: If you don't finish, you won't be able to get a job anywhere that pays more than minimum wage. You can't live on that while you work on your music career, so you *have* to finish.

How many more years do you have?

Does your school offer vocational programs? If you can take some voc-ed courses in electronics repair, and maybe get your teacher to let you work on amps/speakers...Well, there's a music-related job skill for ya! Or take wood shop/carpentry classes...learn some woodworking, maybe apprentice with a luthier. Another music-related job skill!

Adult life is often hard to stay motivated for, too. I *hate* my job. I work as a secretary, cooped up in an office all day. I work in an industry that I am morally opposed to (we build McMansions...UGH!), and that is very conservative and not thrilled about me refusing to work overtime because it interferes with music. I skipped a lot in high school, didn't go to college, and so...I'm stuck.

DON'T BE STUCK!!! Otherwise, your whole life will be like high school...you'll be bored and stuck in a role that you never wanted.

Keep on keepin' on, honey...

Cherie

3. Juneau

Juneau

Well not to be rude, but if you only did things you were motivated to do through interest/desire, you'll be living on the streets before your 30. Life is full of things we don't want to do, and as you get older and experience more of life, you'll find those things come up a lot more often, not less often. Wait until you have a mortgage, or a car payment, and have to work at a job you dont enjoy to pay the bills. Its no more fun than School, but if you dont work, you dont have anything that requires money. Its a necessary evil you should try and work through now, when school is the biggest worry. Otherwise your going to enter a world that is a lot more strict than truency officers could ever be, and you will not be able to cope with it anymore than you are with school right now.

4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

Dude, I felt the exact same way. Trust me, FINISH HIGH SCHOOL!!!

You need a high school diploma to go to college. You need a degree to get a decent paying career type job. You can go to college to study art or music, or both. Then go on to get a job in the arts you feel passionate about. Get payed for your creativity...whats better than that??

I hated math, english and history...but I loved art and music. I finished and went to art school. I leard there there is tons of cool work out there for artists of all types.

I was ready, and willing to drop out but I didn't. Thank god, because all my friends who dropped out of high school are seriously bumming now. A few are dead, a few in jail...but all of them regret it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WalterBush

WalterBush

I never finished high school. Instead, I repeated my senior year, didn't graduate, got my G.E.D and went to college...which I didn't finish.

I've been beating myself to death as an electrician, with barely any energy left for family and music. The bills barely get paid, and every month we look at having to move back in with my parents--I'm 30, with a wife and two kids, and don't imagine even my massive self-esteem would take the pounding that living situation would give it.

I'm going back to college in fall--part time, nights, and it will probably force me to be less active musically. It'll take me far longer than two years to complete my degree, as well. Yet I know that life won't get any better until I get that piece of paper and leave construction (the highest paying industry a non-college grad can hope for) for good. Remember, success stories of people who never finished school are few and far between--the exception, definately not the rule.

Finish school the first time, and you won't regret it later. Don't finish, and you too can spend years wondering what you can do to fix the mistakes of your youth.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Getting a diploma is a landmark event in a persons life. Something you will always have no matter what happens to you. Just the pure satisfaction of completing something you started 12 years ago should be enough. Since it isn't in your case, look at it from the "what can I do for this school" angle. In a positive way, find something you can do with the remaining time at your school that will leave a positive impression on kids later. Start a club, organize a food drive, help out a mentally or physically challenged student.

The emotional rewards from helping someone disabled are immeasurable. Many people in our society like to make fun of mentally/physically challenged people. Having them smile and thank you for your time and help gives you a deep feeling of emotional satisfaction. Go ahead and laugh at me, but it's true.

You only get out of school what you put into it. You have to make it fun/inspirational/emotionally rewarding. Don't just sit around waiting for life to happen to you. Don't be a human BEing, be a human DOing. :D

-Mike

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Go to the gas station. Pump some gas. Good training for the rest of your life if you don't finish high school.

Go to the grocery store. Bag some groceries. Good training for the rest of your life if you don't finish high school.

School isn't fun. It isn't supposed to be fun. It is supposed to be work. By quitting now, you are sending the world a message: I quit when things get hard or boring. I don't have what it takes to see through to completion. I am weak.

What do your parents say about you quitting? Why aren't they kicking your ass right now for even thinking about quitting?

Education is the single most important thing you can do right now. Not necessarily because of the things you learn, but because it proves you are motivated and dedicated. That is a skill you can use in any part of your life.

Don't be a quitter. Don't be weak. Don't be a coward.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

It's the difference between having to work jobs and being able to have a career.

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Emotionally fulfiling?!?!??!

Define what you mean by emotionally fulfilling? Do you mean some type of high? or some level of spiritual enlightenment? Or do you mean that you want to feel good about what you're doing? Seriously, emotionally fulfiling is a pretty vague concept.

Emotional fulfilment is what family, friends, lovers, church, charitible activities and hobbies are for. Looking for that from school?!?!?! I'll tell you that you'll likely get less than that from work - even if it's something you love to do. I love my job, but my wife fulfils more emotionally that my work does. I love my business, but honestly I get more emotional fulfilment from church. I loved school when I was student, but I got my emotional fulfilment from my friends.

You're expecting something from school it's not necessarily designed to give. Schools are designed to give you an education, not enlightenment or emotionally uplifting experiences. Seek that elsewhere, and you'll get what you're looking for without sacrificing your education. Sure, few can be "emotionally fulfilled" at school but school is certainly not the only place to get it. Do you really want to get emotional fulfilment from paid professionals? If so, trade in your parents for therapists.

If you want to do art, you have to be self motivated. The arts aren't a place for the lazy. It takes alot of motivation and discipline to practice your craft, work on a piece, or seek out venues to express yourself. You can get inspiration from the outside, but motivation has to come from within. Self motivated people seek out ways to motivate themselves. That's what ANY employer or partner will look for. I don't want a band member that I have to "motivate" to practice. I don't want an employee that I have to "motivate" to show up at work.

Find things that motivate you, and then apply them. It's that simple. If you're motivated by positive things, then think of what you have to gain by completing your education. Aside from earning potenital, it's nice to have knowledge to make you a more rounded, interesting, and productive person. Earning potential helps to advance your arts career. Gear and supplies aren't cheap, regardless of artist. A painter without oils, a photgrapher without film, or a bassist without strings is a frustrated artist. Money is needed to invest in your arts career as well. Studio time, promotional expenses, and travel aren't free. If you think school is frustrating, THERE IS NOTHING MORE FRUSTRATING THAN TO BE INSPIRED WITH NO OUTLET FOR IT. From experience I can say that although IT CAN SUCK TO BE BROKE, IT'S EVEN WORSE TO BE STUCK. I was broke in college, but I wasn't stuck. I was broke when I was a full-time musician, but I wasn't stuck. I'm overworked and busy, but I'm not stuck. My values and education keep me from being stuck as long as I don't get in the way. Education doesn't give you emotional fulfilment - it gives you options and opportunities, that's it.

If you're motivated by negative things, you already know the negatives of dropping out of school.

Stay in school, it let's you get positive things while reducing the risk of negative things. If the school isn't working out for you, maybe it's time to transfer?

11. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

it sounds like senioritis to me...i had it, but you need to stay in school...and if you aren't getting any emotional fulfillment, think if you have put any emotion into your school. if you put half the emotion you put into your music and art into your homework and classes, you won't be sorry. get a college education, take John Turner's job from him and buy even bigger basses!

12. Davidoc

Davidoc

Listen to the above posts. Think about your future and your career. Right now you may have the urge to drop out, but it sounds like something you'll regret immensely in a few years when you won't be able to do anything about it.

If you like music, and want to be able to have the time, energy and money to pursue it throughout your life, make sure you're able to hold a career to pay the bills.

If your parents are willing to pay for it and your grades/test scores are decent, go to college after you graduate.

13. KeithBMI

KeithBMI

Going to see your friends should be what gets you through your day! :smug:

I take it one day at a time.

14. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Hmmm... looks rather unanimous to me- finish high school... and you had better plan on getting yourself a college degree, too. As an employer, I've had first-hand exposure as to what keeps coming out of high school, and most of it has not been very impressive. Although we have been fortunate with two young guys in their early 20s working out in our warehouse. They are high school graduates, and they show up for work every day and give us a darn good effort; however, unless either one of them somehow goes and gets a degree, I don't see them ever getting out of the warehouse... but, then again, they could very well have found their 'dream job', too... :meh:

If you don't finish high school, then you might as well start living in a park and doing drugs... at least you'd have your own reality masked in delusion for awhile...

Take what has been written within this tread to heart: get yourself educated, son! Good luck to you... ;)

15. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Are these jobs still out there??? It's gotta be 20 years since I can recall someone else pumping my gas and checking under my hood... :D

16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yeah, you just have to move to New Jersey or Oregon.

17. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

I'll be dammed...:eyebrow:

18. thehurlatron

thehurlatron

Be cool, stay in school.......(sorry, that was some promo back in the day, I don't know if they still use it)

How about this for some encouragement:

To be spoken in a Rob Schneider voice from any Adam Sandler movie.........................

You can do it!!

I know it's not fun. I hated school. I dropped out when I was a junior. Then I pulled my head out of my A$$ and went back, did my junior year AGAIN, then went on to graduate a year later.
    What I learned was exactly what people here are saying. It's tough to get a good start in life after 18 if you're starting with a HUGE disadvantage.

Dad voice on: Buck up and get through it. You'll be glad you did.

19. Shelly Renzelman

Shelly Renzelman

I teach at an alternative high school, so I think I can add some input here.

Finish school while you are 17/18 years old! If you drop out now, you will regret it. You don't want to be 20 years old and trying to come back to school with kids that are 15 or 16. One of the major problems our 20 year old students are having now is that graduation requirements have changed since they were last in school. People who thought that they only need 3 credits to graduate now find that they need 5 or 6 and NOW they must also pass a State Achievement Test to get the same diploma that they could have had 3 years ago. Finish now, because graduation requirements are only going to get tougher.

In case that doesn't influence you, here is a link to a page by the Bureau of Labor Statistics that shows a comparison of income based on the amount of education you have.http://www.bls.gov/emp/emptab7.htm

I really hope you will stick it out. It may seem like a long time now, but over the greater course of your life, it is really a small time investment that you will benefit from for the rest of your life.

Shelly :)

20. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Just curious, what are McMansions and what do you find morally wrong?

Thanks

21. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

...'nuff said right here! ;)