1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need Epoxy to Glue a top on

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Nov 14, 2012.

1. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have a 1 piece top I want to glue to the substrate with Clear Epoxy. I don't want to use TB-1 as I normally do because this top is loaded with cracks that I want to fill with epoxy and turquoise. I know that if I use TB-1 it can creep up and be see on the surface of the top...... Hopefully I am making myself clear. Sooo is there something i can buy at Lowes/Home Depot?

This it the Roble Burl top I will be gluing to some Spanish Cedar.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

What if you did your turquoise fill before gluing the top. That way there would be no cracks for the epoxy you usually use to creep into.
  3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    I recommend West Systems epoxy for that job; the 105 resin and the 206 slow hardener.

System III also makes a good similar epoxy. These are what are called "marine" epoxies. They are very strong, fairly transparent, and fairly low viscosity, so they will sink into gaps and cracks. They dry hard, and can be shaped and sanded, and they don't shrink back under a finish. These are the things that you want for your application. I've been using West Systems for structural joints, restoration repairs, and grain filling on my basses for about 20 years.

You're not going to find either of those at Lowe's or Home Depot. The epoxies that they sell there are for contractor repair use. They are mostly too thick, dry too quickly, and dry gummy. You can find West Systems at any marine supply store. In Florida, I suspect you have one nearby!
  4. dremy2006

dremy2006

I personally had no prob using HD / Lowes epoxy.. the kind for table top finishing... used it on a cocobolo fb three years ago.. and its still holding up....
  5. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Thinking about using mirrorcoat
  6. Tdog

Tdog

Tom...Here is a pic of what I affectionately call the "Jarrah-Blaster".

The Jarrah Burl top was married to the Mahogany body with West Systems Epoxy....Yeah, it does ooze up through the burl eyes and fissures.....(a lot sometimes), but I then use a dental drill to clean up the voids where turquoise will eventually be placed. I like to undercut the void in the same way that a dentist fills a tooth.

BTW....I don't know how you are crushing/preparing your turquoise for inlay, but I use an old coffee grinder like the ones you see in your local grocery store for fresh ground coffee beans. This allows me to control the grind and make powder if I wish.....I like the Turkish Grind!

Cheers!
    Greg
  7. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Well done man! I bet that was very time consuming. Thanks for the tips.
  8. rubis

rubis

That Turkish Grind looks delicious!
  9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Go to a marine supply shop as Bruce suggests and get West Systems. Get the pumps. Mirrorcote is not formulated for bonding, it may work, but why risk it?
  10. Konquest

Konquest

I've used System III for bonding metal to wood in some modern furniture designs of mine. Good stuff, worked great. I also have used it mixed with wood dust to fill knots on a tabletop, then sanded flush afterward. I don't think Mirror Coat is for bonding...
  11. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Ok I only need a little so I was hoping to avoid buying a large amount. I will hunt down the West Systems
  12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Yep, west systems or system III............I prefer System III.

If you happen to have any outlets near you, look for West marine, you can easily find west system there......they also have good measuring/mixing cups that can be re-used over and over.....
  13. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Wish I was licensed to send you some Tom, would have sent you some system 3 regular boat epoxy, I have half gallons....LOL
  14. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Thanks. I guess both of these dry clear?
  15. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Yes Tom, both standard have a very slight amber but clear
  16. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    The west system was easy to find so I got it and the pumps. Thanks all
  17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Can you not sell it here?
  18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

This stuff is on amazon.
  19. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I think you'll find that the epoxy is handy to have around. I use it about half the time now.
  20. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Cool thanks. How much does one pump of each make? so you use it as you would TB or other glues?