1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

need eq tips for 70's rock sound

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by andbaggio, Jan 31, 2014.

1. andbaggio

andbaggio

I need tips to get a good 70's rock sound on my amp head (G-K 700 RB-II).

I have a Fender Jazz Bass. I need a good punchy vintage sound, what could I do to get it? any advices?

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

Try cutting everything above 4k or so, and make sure you have plenty of upper bass/low mids. A little bit of drive can help you get there as well.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Which cab are you using?

4. ozzyismetal

ozzyismetal

70s rock sound is extremely vague. There were a plethora of tones back then. Hell, even certain bassists tones changed from album to album or even song to song.

We need more specific examples man.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 and make sure you have rounds

7. andbaggio

andbaggio

ashdown abm 115 + ashdown abm 210

8. andbaggio

andbaggio

what do you mean by upper bass? you mean the low mids...

so cutting down treble and high mids I guess

9. andbaggio

andbaggio

I would say something that fits best Deep Purple, Hendrix, Cream, AC/DC sound

10. Duckwater

Duckwater

Upper bass meaning around 100-200hz

11. dincz

dincz

Hendrix and Cream didn't make much sound in the 70's! :)

12. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Lots of mids, less treble and bass than a modern bass tone. Bass amps back then were, in the main, barely diverging from guitar amps. Marshall Superbass heads benefitted from a bigger OT and a few different caps in the tone stack and that is about it....

With the exception of the Ampeg 810, most cabs in the early '70s were shallow depth, unported 412 guitar cabs with different speakers. Those weird W-profiled folded horn cabs, with a single 18'' speaker firing backwards, were also popular.

13. Sartori

Sartori

No, he means upper bass. Not the same as low mids. Upper bass is around 80-120hz, as I recall. Low mids are more like the region around 220hz. Naturally, the boundary between the two is a bit ambiguous.

70's bass, while having a wide variety of different tones, tended not to have that much in the deep, sub low area, though often had strong upper bass. Generally not a whole lot going on above 5khz, either.

14. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

Well from what you described, I will actually disagree on using roundwound strings. Go with flats, but something on the bright side. Rotosound 77 flats should get you there. I think this would be the most important factor for getting that tone you are describing.

However I feel that your amp is your biggest limitation for this. I am rather familiar with it and the GK is fairly modern voiced. I would suggest starting flat and then cutting your hi-mids a bit. Boosting your low mids might not be necessary but could help. You might have to cut your treble a bit as well. I would probably leave bass flat. Try to use presence for controling the higher frequencies and add contour to adjust the warmthness of your overall sound.

Last but not least, a subtle overdrive might be very helpful as well, but necessary.

15. Michedelic

Michedelic

Aside from the fact, as someone else pointed out, Hendrix and Cream were technically not of the 70's, every band cited was using Marshall bass amplification(Cliff might have eventually moved to SVT's, but earlier on he was using those Marshall 4x15 cab stacks). If you want 'that' sound, look to amps using el34 tubes, or possibly kt88's, however, el34's aren't necessarily the best for bass frequencies. Also, consider the instruments from the examples you listed. Rickenbacker, two Fender Jazz Basses, and a Gibson EB3. All substantially different sounding.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

To me, you need to look at what cabs and amps did during that era.

Deep low bass didn't really exist (roll off by about 60hz), and no tweeters or any of that, so nothing about about 4khz. Amps were generally not a whole lot of power and speakers didn't have much in the way of excursion, so some amount of 'dirt' in the form of either speaker distortion or amp clipping is usually in there somewhere too. That classic 810 sound is low mid forward but not much below it with some breakup in it.

17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

So something that sounds like a Ric, a Jazz, an EB0, or a StingRay? They played other basses as well, but that's a wide spectrum that you're not going to hit by tweaking your EQ unless you change it for every song.

18. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

bump up the 1.1k area, dump anything below 60-70 hz area.
    adjust your high end to deal with your guitar / keyboard players' sounds.

get an overdrive pedal to dial in a little bit of grit.

Or just use a b-15 and call it done.

19. Jazz_bass2664

Jazz_bass2664 Supporting Member

Media:
    15 inch or bigger speakers and no tweeters. Plug in a Fender bass and you're in business!

20. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

On the other hand, many records from that time probanly recorded the bass straight into the mixing console, low impedance. With a passive bass, you would get the same rolled off highs due to pickup loading. Some records also have quite deep bass, not much different from how rock CAN sound today.