1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NEED HELP – Lakland 55-02 or CARVIN PB-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DPG003, Feb 7, 2014.

1. DPG003

DPG003

I have a Korean made Lakland Skyline 55-02 with the Bartolini pups & pre. I really love the feel of this bass but like many have said the Bartolini's in this bass are a bit too subdued. I like the big warm tone this bass produces but I'm needing something that will sit a little better in the mix. Something with more punch. I play through an Ampeg PF500 into two Genz Benz NeoX 112T's

I play Praise & Worship and Christian Rock Finger-style only and I had been thinking about changing out the Bart pickups for some Nordstrands but I have not been able to hear any Nords. I don't have access to a 55-02 with the LH3 system but I have checked out some youtube clips and while it is definitely more out front and punchier than the Barts for some reason I didn't really care much for the tones I heard. I guess I lean more towards a punchy P-Bass tone.

I recently came across the new Carvin PB5 and from the few clips I heard on youtube it sounded like just what I'm looking for. Warm & fat, but punchy. I’m considering selling my 55-02 to get a PB5 with the MM humbucker bridge and Split P but I have never played a Carvin. Don’t know how they compare to the Skylines. I know the PB5 is 34” scale and my 55-02 is 35”. That wouldn’t bother me as long as it had a killer B string like my 55-02. I believe both have 19mm string spacing.

I was wondering if there were any PB5 owners out there who have possibly compared it to a 55-02 and I would love to hear how you like the PB5. Would it sit well in a Pop / Rock mix etc.

I also wouldn’t be opposed to keeping my 55-02 if I could find the right pickups / preamp but that Carvin has really got me interested. Not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

2. Quackhead

Quackhead

You're going to have a hard time finding another bass with a B string as nice as the one on the Lakland. As to the tone, I'm not sure what to suggest. Why doesn't it "sit well in the mix" as you say? Is that something you can fix with EQ?

3. G On Bass

G On Bass Previously Grateful Supporting Member

I owned many Laklands over the years as I always bought into the need-a-35"-for-a-good-B thing. They are great basses. I never even considered basses that weren't 35. I had played some absolute crap 34" 5-ers….

On a whim, I picked up a Carvin SB5000.

Fast-forward a few years and all my Laklands are gone, replaced by Carvins, including a B50 that has the same neck and construction as the PB series. I don't feel that I have given up anything in the B string, and the Carvins are more comfortable to play for me.. Since my Carvin acquisitions, I have bought and sold off a couple of US Fenders, a US Gibson EB5 :)spit:) and a Sadowsky Metro. 2 of those 3 are highly regarded 'status' basses, but the Carvins either outplayed them (Fender) or made the bass not worth the money it tied up (Metro. Sold it and paid for 2 Carvins).

If you do go for the PB5, as you stated, adding a bridge pickup is a good idea. I also recommend looking at the active electronics option. It has the SB preamp in it that allows for active/passive with a passive tone control. That allows for some crazy versatility, IMHO more than just coil switching. Go watch some of the Sekou Bunch videos on the Carvin channel where he walks through the preamp settings with an SB and you get an idea of what it can do.

Whether you keep your 55-02 or get the PB5, you'll still be holding a great bass.

4. angryclown5

angryclown5

Have you played the 55-02 through other amplifier rigs? For more punch in the mix I would recommend adding a 210 cabinet on top of your 2 12s. I use an Eden 210 on top of a SWR 212 for all the punch I could ever want from my 55-02, DJ5, and MTD-Z6.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I've been listening to clips of the PB all day man after my J project blew up on me... they are sounding pretty sweet

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Take a look at Delano pickups. Get a big fat split coil humbucker that will fit in your 55-02 and you'll be in business. Keep in mind a P pickup is simply a split coil humbucker. Delano makes one that sounds huge like a P pickup.

And if you DO decide to sell those Barts from your 55-02, let me know. I know someone looking for a set.

9. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Wow I feel like that Lakland is known for being punchy. I have never heard someone say it couldn't sit in the mix. Be aware that the Carvin and Lakland feel really different. I was sure the SB was going to be my dream bass. When i got it I couldn't stand the feel of it ....or the tone really and traded it back for my Lakland. I can't believe I almost let that Lakland go. Then again, you make like the Carvin feel more....??