Need help. A good bass for $300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shakiroin, Apr 2, 2011.

1. shakiroin

shakiroin

I'm on the market for a bass, my nearest good store is about 2 hours away. I've been looking at these models on line

1- Ibanez sr300,
    2- Peavey Millennium BXP 4
    3- Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass IV
    4 -Yamaha RBX374

Thanks for your advise
  2. dalkowski

dalkowski

All good, but I'd lean toward the Squier.
  3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Squier or Yamaha. However I would look at some of the bases on the TB classifieds where you can find some great deals.
  4. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Squier cv 60's jazz or vm jazz 77 - you can't go wrong
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Of those the Squier would be my first choice. The Peavey would be second.
  7. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

Shop USED and be PATIENT

You'll be amazed at what turns up on Craigslist and Ebay.

I got an almost new MIM Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass for $220 on Craigslist.

Check every night and every morning and be ready to act on it when you see the right ad.

:hyper::ninja::hyper:
  8. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

I'm surprised to see so many in favor of Squires. Granted, I haven't played one since the late 90's, early 00's... but back then they were garbage. Has the Squire line improved that much? I know not much is to be expected in that price range, but I've always found Ibanez & Yamaha's buget lines to be of considerably better quality.

You've done your research, go to the store and play the basses you're interested in. The one the plays and feels the best in your hands, and sounds the best is the one you ought to buy. My biggest problem with buying online is that you don't get to physically play it till you get it. Guess I'm just horribly old school, but I prefer to play and check out an instrument before forking out any money for it. Again, that's just my opinion.
  9. 90k

I've got an 80's korean squire jazz that I would let go for 300.00 plus shipping. email me for pics..
  10. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

+1
    Personal preference.
  11. darkstorm

darkstorm

I think the Ibanez SR300 is the superior one out of those. Its also one of my fave soapbar pup basses and I like its sound better then some of the more expensive soundgear models. The necks excellent and the style sweeper eq gives a lot of available sound variety equal to 3band eq's.
  12. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Absolutely. Squier has indeed upped their quality in the last few years, especially in the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe lines. It's a safe bet you won't find any (only a very few at most, if that) dissatisfied VM and CV owners.
    Most definitley worth checking out at the very least.
    BTW, it's SQUIER.
  13. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

YES. the vintage modified series & classic vibe series are freaking awesome. way, way better than "old" squiers or new affinity series.

i have the deluxe active jazz (mine is a V) and it. is. awesome.
  14. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Another vote for Squier and another nod to the CV and VM series.
  15. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Buying new gives you a 30 day (or more) return policy that you get from the major stores like Guitar Center, Musicians' Friend and others.

Buying used gets you a piece of gear that may or may NOT be good and no real power for exchange except a drawn out argument and lots of e-mails back and forth between you, the seller and whatever company policy'd escrow service that holds the money and ultimately your fate.

If fewer hassles and more satisfaction are you goal, then buy new - especially for the extended warranty if you decide on it - and as a n00b in buying a bass, I'd say get the 'Pro Coverage' that is offered by GC for extra peace of mind and security.

Yeah - the Squiers are all pretty good and certainly the pick of the litter you posted and asked. I own several and they are sweet.
  16. Pillgrimm13

Pillgrimm13

squiers are pretty nice now and peavey used to be great (i dont now how thay are now as i havent played one newer than 10 years old) but i think an ibanez is the way to go, for the price you get alot of quality just stay away from the basswood models. as for yamaha, to each there own. ive played several over the years and ever one sounded a little flat. maybe thats cuz every one i pickup up had dead stings so best bet would be to go to the music store see if they have a deal on a used bass and if not play as many as you can and order the one you like online cuz itll probebly be cheaper online.
  17. Bongofour

Bongofour

I just got me a Squier VM 77' -4 for $270. through MF!

Should have it mid next week.
    I wanted a good new cheap bass with a maple neck. This one had all the positive reviews.
  18. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

If you buy used in person you should be able to tell if there is anything seriously wrong. If you buy a fairly priced popular model from a private party you should have no trouble selling it later for close to what you paid. Whether you buy used or new you should include $60 or so for a setup in your budget, unless you have the skill (or a friend) to do one.
  19. melarson

melarson

+1

There are great deals to be had out there. I found a MIM Jazz V w/ HSC for $150 on Craigslist. All it needed was a good cleaning and setup.
  20. jreme

jreme

The Squier. I'm looking for a bass around the same price range and can't decide between Ibanez GSR200 and Squier VM Precision... thoughts?
  21. lindseyp

lindseyp

I think Peavey and Ibanez make very good, high quality basses for around that price point based on personal experience. You'll still have to play one to decide if the bass speaks the sound you hear in your head, and to determine if your fingers don't feel like they're fighting with the instrument.