Need help ASAP from Ampeg experts

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Warwick Qc418, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

Hi
    I got a deal from a music store for a new Ampeg SVT15e. They have to model in store: a 1997 from SLM without speakon or a 2008 from LOUD. The '97 has a couple of dents for being forgotten in their stock but they won't sell it for less. Which should I get?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Go pick up both of them, pick the lighter one.
  3. Warwick Qc418

Anyone please, need to do this today

Thanks
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No seriously pick the lighter one, its made of better wood. If its a budget thing and you want them to come down on the ringed up one, just as to speak with the manager. Tell him its not as new, and you want to make a deal.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. carl h.

carl h.

This cab is rated at 200 watts, this means you don't need speakon. What cables do you have now? Will this make a difference?

Bring your bass and amp and plug into both of them and see which sounds better to you.

Which one looks better?

Which is lighter?
  7. stiles72

stiles72

There's a big plywood vs. OSB debate on TB, and many Ampeg folks will tell you the newer plywood models are better. Personally I don't see anything wrong with OSB. Ampeg and many other companies have used it for years with positive results. For me, the bigger difference is the driver. Between the two cabs, I'd probably go with the USA SLM one from '97.
  8. rodl2005

rodl2005

I like the newer Ampeg cabs, so the Loud one. That said- how about both?
  9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    They should use the same driver, no?? Or would the loud cab be a china sourced driver as well?

If they use identical drivers, pick the lighter one, it should be plywood instead of OSB.

You don't "need" the speakon and you don't "need" to buy it right this minute either. Those are "wants", not "needs".
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Also, everything you see in a GC is used gear considering the wankers that haunt the place and bash on stuff, IMO. Some pieces are just more used than others.

They need to come down on the price of the dinged up cab. Yes...."need".
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

If they are new old stock and the store is an Ampeg dealer, I would ask Ampeg if they will honor the warranty. They should for the 2008 model, maybe not the SLM model since it was a different company. If the 2008 model comes with a warranty, I would go with that one. Call Ampeg customer service with the serial number and ask about the warranty, don't just take the dealer's word for it.

Just make sure that the speaker in each cab doesn't have any issues. Test it carefully and listen for buzzing and distortion.

If you decide to sell it later, value wise, people will rate the plywood one higher.
  12. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

How does a store "forget" about a brand new cab for 15 years? I'd be skeptical of their story on the cab from 1997.

I'd find a new dealer.
  13. Warwick Qc418

Thanks for all the comments

For future reference, the 2008 is lighter and I thought it was a bit more articulate in the lows, low mid but the 1997 felt like it had deeper lows.

I think that the 2008 is better quality in built and sound but I personally preferred the sound of the 1997 for a vintage tone.

Ended up with the 2008 since they didn't want to drop the price on the 1997. They said it cost more back then but still...
  14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    It cost them more than that to warehouse it all this time, they would've been further ahead getting rid of it at a discount....they're pulling your leg.

Anyway...good choice....and nice cab.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd have gone with the 2008, too. That's more up my alley tonewise.