1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need help. Buying high end bass soon!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jake Morris, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Jake Morris

Jake Morris Supporting Member

Hey guys. I need help and some opinions. I am in the market for a 6 string bass. I tried many different ones, but I found I liked a Benavente singlecut and a sukop singlecut classic. I really like songlecuts because of the ease of access to higher frets. The Benavente was around $7,000 (actually less)) and the Sukop about $4,200. Both new. Wanted to know what anyone's experience with either basses were. And I'm open to any suggestions. $7,000 is really pushing my budget. I'm selling a couple instruments to fund this. And lastly, I called up Fodera to see what a rough cost would be for an equivalent and it came to around $8,000 to $9,000. Is it really worth that much going from a Sukop to Fodera? $4,200 as opposed to $8,500? That's really what I want to know.

*** wait the benavente is not $7,000 it's actually a bit cheaper

2. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

You could get a Modulus TBX for under that price! Graphite through body!

3. Rocky McDougall

Rocky McDougall

I don't think anyone can answer these questions for you. In that price range you should know exactly what you want. I think the main difference between a $4,000 bass and an $8,000 bass is $4,000.
    Rocky

4. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

You can go to the Fodera shop (it's close and worth the trip since you're in North Jersey anyway) and play one and decide for yourself, so that question gets answered. Smith also makes a very nice 6 string with fantastic upper fret accessibility.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gweimer

gweimer

Exactly! What you are paying for is the craftsmanship and look of the instrument. The sound is not going to reflect the difference in price. Only you can decide what you are willing to pay for either of them.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Singlecuts don't give any better access to the upper frets- at all. They just extend the upper bout. You'll find that most builders who make singlecuts also make nearly identical neck-through double cuts which have exactly the same upper fret access. Some builders make double cut bolt-ons with even better upper fret access. Just something to keep in mind.

8. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Comments are spot on.

Make sure you play the bass you are going to drop that kind of cash into owning.

I've done the custom super-expensive thing, and the cheapie pocket rocket modded to high heaven too.

Truth is, the best bass for you is only something you can decide. Sounds silly, it absolutely is as simple as that.

For ME, I've found that I like 4 strings, bolt ons, nice figured tops, single coils, oiled necks, and passive electronics. That makes me lucky because I have so many options, but unlucky because...well...how the heck do I narrow it down?

What do you like? Think of the simple construction points mentioned above. The fact that you want a 6 narrows things down a bit.

Having had the opportunity to play a whole slew of basses from all over the world, I'd be happy to talk about it further with you, provided there's some context to the discussion (i.e. bass construction framework).

So...let's get the ball rolling here! :)

9. Cookye

Cookye

No matter what, play it before you buy it. I honestly believe a Fodera is worth the upgrade and price. I played an Alembic Mark King once and I can say it was, and still is, the best bass I have ever owned and/or played, but, not everyone can drop that kind of money. After playing over 35 years and owning more basses than I can count I know, without a doubt, that spending a little bit more of than your budget allows will get you quality.

10. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

+1 on both, I'd just go visit and Ken Smith does make a nice 6 string.

11. spade2you

spade2you

What EXACTLY are you looking for other than a singlecut? Most luthiers build one these days. It's a matter of getting exactly what you want, which means you need to know what that is and how to communicate that with a builder.

12. Jake Morris

Ok thanks I noticed that. I also liked the elrick that I tried. I just don't want to go with the wrong bass and regret it. Just so you guys know I play mostly jazz but also funk, rock, everything really.

I did try some Ritters. Honestly, I thought they were nice but $10,000 seemed a little high hahaha.

13. spade2you

spade2you

I hear dollar signs, not specs.

14. Jake Morris

Sorry. Didn't see your comment when I was typing. Honestly, all I really want is a a bass that plays really really nice, easy access to all frets, nice wood top, nothing fancy needed, good slap and finger tone. And I know that's really general hahaha but I don't know exactly what you want from me hahaha. Oh and should be active. Nice deep sound but not muddy. Deep but clear. Can get many tones

15. Jake Morris

Oh and I called fodera. They don't have any on stock

16. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

You can get that for under $2K and have lots to put in the bank.
    I'm gonna say get a Bongo 6, a Warwick Thumb, or an MTD.

Tons more options, but we need even more specifics than what you said. Otherwise, there's lots of basses that can be had that fulfill your requirements.
    Good news! :)

17. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

If that's all you want, there are lots of basses that meet those criteria, most with price tags under $8k or even $4k. What basses have you played, and what did you like or not like about each of them?

18. spade2you

spade2you

Yeah, a little vague. You'll at least need to have an idea what pickups and preamp you want.

The rest, I don't know of many luthiers who don't make this. I have the most experience with Cliff Bordwell and Chris Stambaugh. Mr. Tyler is very familiar with Elrick. Regardless, there are plenty of folks who can build you something amazing. Hell, perhaps even a Peavey Cirrus with a nice flame or redwood top could match that description.

With a wide range of tones desired, I might suggest Nordstrand Dual Coils with a 3 way coil switch for each pickup paired with an Audere 3 band (w/mid switch) or 4 band EQ with a master Z Mode or a Z Mode for each pickup.

19. Jake Morris

Don't want a musicman, have a warwick corvette German 5 string. I'm looking to step it up to a custom/ boutique bass. I love musicmans but I am looking for a more versatile bass.

Has anyone tried a Sukop? Any thoughts likes/dislikes?

20. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member

Not that I know much about basses in that price range... I just want to say that It really sounds like you don't need to spend that much. Maybe you should buy 2 $2000 basses. :)

If you have to spend that much... Buy a Dingwall Z3. I only say that because I would love one and I want to live vicariously thru you. haha! Good luck!

21. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

There's a place just north of Philly called BassSpecialties that has a ton of high end basses. It's definitely worth a trip to check out. There isn't anything remotely like it on 48th St, for example. You may not find tons of 6'ers, but you'll get a very good feel of what is offered by a lot of the high end builders. And, you might find what you really want the most but didn't know it is a Roscoe ;)