Need help choosing a 5 string (700-800 dollar range)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SatansFather, Oct 10, 2013.

1. SatansFather

SatansFather

I should start by saying I'm left handed. Basically this is my first bass, but I've been playing guitar for 11 years. I want a 5 string because I main a 7 string guitar, so I will need the low B for recording and such.

I want something that will be good for slap, progressive, blues, Primus, death metal, etc. Currently I'm torn between an Ibanez SR505 and a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5. My guitar is a Carvin DC727 and want a "bass equivalent" in terms of versatility and comfort (without spending trillions of dollars on an Icon). Any suggestions welcome.
  2. Ninjabot

Ninjabot

Either is a good way to go. I have the schecter but in 6 string and it is awesome.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Get another Carvin. You will get the most bang for your buck and have a great B string to boot. If a great B is on your requirements you might as well stop looking at the SR505, it leaves a lot to be desired in my book. I cannot speak on the Schecter as my dealer went tits up years ago so I have not seen one in ages.
  4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

The floppyness or performance of a low B string is not in the construction of the bass, but in the construction of the string. Higher gauge B= more tension and less flop generally.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SatansFather

SatansFather

I'd get another Carvin for sure if it were in my budget. I like the schecter because it has a neck through and jumbo frets, but a lot of people say the ibanez has more versatility and feels better.
  7. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Not so sure about that... I've had some 5 string basses that had a low B that sounded like mud no matter what type of string I put on them, an SR305 was one of them. Though I did used to have an SR405 back in the late 90s that sounded great.
  8. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Disclosures:
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor, Lakland
    Lefty makes it tougher, but a used Lakland skyline DJ5 or JO5 is attainable at that price.
  9. decentbassbreh

decentbassbreh

try an ibanez btb they are 35 inch scale and have killa tone
  10. Ninjabot

Ninjabot

Here is a video that I found that helped me make the decision to buy my Stiletto Studio. The neck is super easy to play on and the sound is awesome. Slapping sounds really good on it too. The string spacing is a little narrow on these so it may take a little getting used to when first starting to slap on it but not too much. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEcpMdVXpw8