1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need help choosing a GK rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Grrr, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Grrr

Grrr

Hello, good sirs!

I play in a rock band (2 guitarists, singer, keys, bass and a sane drummer). We won't be gigging much, it is more of a fun thing, we just like to play. I currently have a GK MB-112 combo (version 1). I like the sound of it, but it leaves something to be desired volume wise. I would like to stay with GK (always been happy with their gear). I would like to spend as little money as possible while maintaining similar tone and improving volume. I am thinking seperate head and currently one cab, as this will be more flexible for future upgrades. Used is out of the question (can't find anything here in Slovenia).
    So here are three of my ideas:

RB400IV
    115 NEO

RB400IV
    212MBE

RB400IV
    112 NEO

Since all of the cabs are 8ohm, I am only using 180W of power. Will any of the rigs actually be louder than my current 200W combo?
    I am thinking the first two might be louder because of the larger speaker area, and hoping 112 NEO is maybe louder than the speaker in my combo?

Any other ideas in similar price range?

Thank you for your help (and sorry for all the funky spelling)!

2. GK Growl

GK Growl

My thoughts are that you need at least 300 watts to compete with all the other musicians that play with you. My personal preference has always been a 410 cab with at least 300 watts and it seems to cover most situations that I may encounter (sometimes overkill but it's better than underpowered).

3. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

As a GK junkie my vote is for the 212MBE,,,, the two 12's are going to give your more volume than the Neo 1x12 or the Neo 1x15.

The MB112 you have is only 200watts, but the MBE212 should give you lots more volume and punch even if your only giving it the 180watts you mentioned,,,, 2x12's = more volume and punch.

As the other poster said, 300watts (or more) would be better,,, you can always upgrade to a higher wattage head later and the 212MBE will be able to handle it (as I recall its rated at 600watts).

The 212MBE uses the same drivers as the Neo cabs, just in case you did not know that.

Cheers
    Davyo

4. BluesMan845

BluesMan845

I would suggest that amp only if you were going to run a 4 ohm cabinet which would get you around 400+ watts if memory serves me correctly?

You can't go wrong with the 700 RB-II which is kinda of the middle range of what Gk offers and what some would consider the flagship replacement for the 800 RB. To get the juice out of these amps you will need to consider (2) 8 ohm cabs or 1 cab running at 4 ohms.

Another way to go which may be a bit cheaper is to purchase a power amp/speaker or a powered speaker and continue to use the MB-112 and just run a line out to feed the extension set up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

I joined a blues band with a new 400RB and a 210 cab, it sounded OK, but lacked headroom. I replaced it with a 700RB-II and a 410 and never looked back. Headroom for days.

The GK 700RB-II is tough to beat.

7. Hybrid_Moments

Hybrid_Moments

I use a GK 400 rb (older from the 80's) and an Ampeg 410 HLF. I can get more volume than my guitar players and they both have Marshall's and 412 cabs. We also have a hard hitting drummer. No problem. I have a GK 212 Neo cab sounds good but sometimes it doesn't have enough volume for some shows. I may pair it up with another GK Neo cab.Its nice to leave my Ampeg at home (91lbs vs the Neo at 40lbs).

8. Hybrid_Moments

Hybrid_Moments

I had a 700 rb head and could never get the tone I liked with it

9. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

I'd do option #2 but save a little more for the 212 neo. The MBE cabs have crappy peizo tweeters, the neos use a diaphram tweeter. The neo would also be more useful if you eventually upgrade since it can utilize the horn management (bi-amp) from the 700RBII.

10. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Loudest in order from your choices:
    2 (also recommend the NEO212 over the 212MBE if you can)
    3 (minor improvement possible)
    If you go with the MBE make your second cab a NEO and just turn off the piezo in the MBE.

11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Get the 700rb. You'll have the extra headroom if you ever need to upgrade.

12. Grrr

Grrr

Thank you everyone for your input.

If I go with NEO212... the cost is about the same as two NEO112s.
    Wouldn't that be louder with rb400, as it drops impedance to 4 ohms?

I am also thinking about waiting for a year and saving some cash, than go with rb700...
    I don't like the idea of buying something now and upgrading soon (additional cab later would be OK though).

13. Melonthief

Melonthief

I am a gigging bassist who is ...... Seasoned is a nice word. So I am happy to share my experience.
    I play in a metal band with 2 guitar players, both use full Marshall stacks.
    I have had lots of different, expensive, huge rigs in the past. Huge makes you feel badass when you're young and strong but as you get older huge makes you feel tired.
    Expensive makes you feel important and superior when you're young but as you get older it makes you feel dumb and irresponsible.
    My current rig is easily transportable, inexpensive, sounds amazing and has no problem cutting through 2 Marshall stacks and a metal drummer.

GK 400rb 115 combo with an
    SWR basic 2 way 115 can

That's it. Stacks up nicely, rolls on casters. Easy to load and get on and off stage. Has a built in DI on the front. I can't imagine a venue where it wouldn't be enough. The whole rig including cables and a compressor was around $750 used. My tone kills too.

14. B-string

The two NEO112's would make it easier for you to hear on stage as you can stack the on end. The bump to 300 watts will help a little as well. You would be ready to take full advantage of the 700RB II later.

Very concise and I agree. :)

15. Tugboat

Tugboat

Whatever you decide to do....check out their website but then CALL http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/ Ask them what's the best price they can give you on the equipment you want. They will give you a great deal, but you have to call and they will beat their price they have on the website by far. They always give huge deals on GK stuff. Not sure why, but they do. You may be able to get more/better than you thought.

My $.02 is the GK Neo II cabs are unbelievable for the price point. Half the price of the boutique stuff out there and not that much of a drop in quality. Have you thought about a used head? I've seen some great deals on older RB and other GK heads here in the classifieds. Those RB heads kick ass and they are tanks.

16. B-string

The problem is the OP is in Slovenia.
    Interesting avatar Tugboat! :D

17. Tugboat

Tugboat

Oh shoot! Didn't see his location. Yeah, that may be a problem even for RMC Audio. :D

18. red_rhino

red_rhino Supporting Member

Some good points here regarding price vs performance vs ease-of-use. There's always a trade-off, and the truth is you want to get as close as you can to the balance that works best for you so that you're not having to upgrade in 6-12 months.

If you're looking to go head/cab rather than combo, and you like GK MB combos, then you should also consider the MB800 head. I use it with a single 112 full-range cab (8 ohms) and it's plenty loud, but adding a second 8 ohm cab brings the load to 4 ohms and it's more than enough power. It's very light (4.5 lbs) and easy to use. (I also have an MB210 combo; the MB800 head is similar in character, but better tone shaping and more power. If you like the MB combo, you'd probably like the MB800, or even the MB500 which is a bit less expensive.)

Good luck.

-Alan