Need help deciding my next bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LightForce104, Dec 1, 2013.

1. LightForce104

LightForce104

Well, I finally feel like I'm ready for my next bass. I went to my local store, and I've narrowed it down to 2 basses that I really like. One is a Sterling Ray 34, and the other is a MIM standard Fender Jazz. Problem is, now I'm stuck between the 2. On one hand, I really love playing RHCP stuff, but on the other, I love Rush. Help, please. I love the sounds that both of them make, and I can't decide.
  2. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

Just so you know, the necks are widely different, I would test those first. Both with give you a great tone that can cover RHCP.
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

You can't go wrong with either choice. I would pick whichever one seems to be more comfortable to you, personally I would get both and be happy for many years to come. :)
    Okay, speaking reasonably...
    I would pick up the Sterling 34 first (that's if you can't decide on one or the other) and wait till you find a used Fender Jazz for a reasonably cheap price. Your chances of finding a used MIM Jazz cheap is greater than finding a used Sterling so that's what I'd do.
  4. LightForce104

LightForce104

I should note, the Jazz is cheaper than the Sterling.

Also, I've tried them both, and I have no preference on the necks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

A used Sterling 34 (sunburst) and a used Jazz can be bought for the same price ($299.99) on GC if you want to pursue the used route .
    I just noticed though that you're in Hawaii- shipping it there would be expensive unfortunately- that would have been another option.
  7. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Parts and build are better on the ray IMO. Nothing really to upgrade other than the pup or pre also. Hardware is better quality on the ray. The ray will still get you rush tones with an amp tweak. Everyone and their brother has a jazz. Or 4.
  8. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

My personal ownership experience is with the ray and I can vouch for how good quality a build they are. They sound great and can cover Rush well in my opinion. I like the idea of getting the ray and seeing if you still want a Jazz, get a nice cheap used one.
  9. Red Four

Red Four

Those are both good choices. Both are solid, will sound good in mixes, will cover multiple styles, and will hold up well over time. I wouldn't think too much about how much you like to play other bassist's tunes, as that will change over time.

I suggest going with the one that's more fun for you to play. Which one do you find yourself getting lost in more - you start playing and then just keep playing, coming up with things, the things you most want to play coming more readily to your hands? It may be subtle, since you like both, but one of them must "get out of your way" more than the other, and more readily give you access to what you're trying to do.

If you keep playing for the long haul, you'll easily be able to get the other one at some point later. Forget about Flea and Geddy - one of these basses is more "you", regardless of what anyone else thinks, and that's most important. If none of these ideas sways you, flip a coin and see how the result makes you feel.