Need help delivering the BOOM!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Jan 21, 2013.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

My current setup is a GK MB210 with a 210MBE extension running under it. I just joined a funk band, where for the first time in my life, I'm actually being told things like "turn up!" and "we want to FEEL the bass!" and "go as loud as you want, I'll tell you if you've gone too far".

So I've started to push the MB210 and 210MBE really hard. I love the definition and growl I get out of it, but it's coming up short in the "I want to FEEL the bass" department.

I also have an MB2-500 head which I got as a backup when the power supply of my MB210 died in December at a gig.

My thought: Run the MB210 + 210MBE as I always have. Then take the "spare" MB-500 head and run a 115MBE with it. Then I'd have 500 watts going to 410s and 350 watts going to 115 with the option of having 2 different eq settings (I guess that's called bi-amping, right?)

Do you guys think this strategy will work? I mean, I never thought I'd see the day when 500 watts into 410s was going to be "not enough" for me. It was a relatively small room too, but was PACKED full of people which just served as sponges to absorb all my bass.

2. Ben Mitchell

Ben Mitchell

Wow mb210 is like THE bassiest boomiest amp I've heard.. Like I have to keep my bass nob almost flat on the eq.

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Two different eq's is not biamp but yes you could do this. I would lean towards a actual sub cab instead of the 115MBE though.

4. rpsands

rpsands

It's boomy in the upper bass, not in the 'feel your pants flapping' area.

I'd highly recommend looking at a Greenboy model (probably an F215) for this purpose. They come in around 70lbs in Okoume, so plenty portable.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jarrett

Jarrett

Get a MB800 and get ready to have them telling you to turn down :)

7. GroovinOnFunk

Exactly, the 210 CAN BE boomy (mine isn't as I have put batting inside and added cross-braces). It's that FEEL IT IN YOUR KNEES and MAKE THE PANTIES DROP kind of deep funk bass that I need (I'm also using a stingray which is notorious for not having huge lows...) I'm not talking like, Reggae type bassy... Just like... funk bass. I don't know. Certainly don't want it being like house music kind of bassy. Just more bassy than what I've got now. and a DEFINED bassiness is always preferred.
    I should have mentioned that I do have financial restrictions and found a 115MBE for fairly inexpensive. Definitely can't drop more than $400 on a cab.

Forgive my ignorance, but is a Greenboy model F215?

8. GroovinOnFunk

Thought about this as well... with the MB210 + MB500 I'd end up with 850 watts in total tho. I was going to sell everything and get 1 410MBE and 1 115MBE with a MB800. Then I saw that the 410MBE that is 8ohm @ 400 watts is ceramic, not neodymium speakers.

Anyway, I somehow reasoned to myself that what I would be left with is essentially an MB800... with 500 watts to the 410s and 350 to the 115 all coming out of an MB head of some sort...

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

a dual 3015LF woofer rig will find the "thats enough you can turn down a bit" barrier.

10. GroovinOnFunk

so the amount of watts isn't what's doing it? you guys think it's just the cabs I'm using that can't handle that much power? I have back issues (as a 26 year old... I know... rough) so lightweight is a MUST (not an option... a necessity) unfortunately.

11. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    If you want to maximize your current rig, I'd try running an fdeck HPF 3 set between 60 and 80 Hz to cut out the sub lows that your cabs won't really push anyways. Then I'd add a separate EQ after the HPF to boost between 80 & 200 hz to get your low midrange grunt. It won't make your rig into something it's not but it will maximize what you have to work with.

Total speaker area, their efficiency, and the cabinet design have a much larger effect on how loud you are than just wattage. I gig with anything from a 30w B-15 to a 300w Fender 300 Pro using anything from a single 10 to an 18/6. Most of them have different voices and volume capabilities that don't necessarily have to do with wattage.

I think that your cabs don't have the voicing you're looking for.

I have a bad arm at 24 so I understand. Just make sure that you can get the oomph you need from any potential candidates.

12. B-string

13. Russell L

Russell L

I had a similar problem the other night with my Little Mark III into my Markbass 151P cab. The BL had set up 18" subs along with the regular PA stuff. They sounded SO low it was overkill for the room. He kept telling me to turn up and get some punch. I was already in the PA, but only a little, so I just turned myself up more in it. Mercy me, everything sounded so damn bassy I could never get into playing all night. Those subs made everything going through the PA sound bassy. There was really no room, sonically, for me. I hate it when folks don't understand sound enough to avoid scenarios like that. And, btw, punchiness isn't as low as you think.

14. GroovinOnFunk

Can you elaborate on this FDeck HPF idea? seems pretty good! I like 100-200 hz and tend to find anything lower than that to be too subby. I'm not trying to make it sound like we're in a club playing house music or something like that.

15. GroovinOnFunk

That Avatar cab looks nice and it's inexpensive and light! Is it better than the GK 115MBE

16. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    There's a whole thread on the HPF here. It cuts out your sub lows below 35 Hz and also has a sweepable filter from 35 to 140 Hz. I use a Boss GEB7 as a cheap EQ pedal afterward. You can find them for $35-$50 used and it allows boost at 120 to get the perceived chunk back in your notes.

That's entirely subjective. The GK 115MBE will probably be voiced very much like your cabs you're already using. I doubt it'll add that much more heft. The Avatar will be a lot deeper and darker but not as loud in the midrange if loaded with the 3015LF. The lows will certainly be there.

17. B-string

With the 3015LF, larger lower tuned cab it will be more pant flapping in your chest than the MBE. I like G-K but you are looking for a specific need. The GreenBoy designs will get you there without a doubt but not at $400.

18. GroovinOnFunk

If I got the Avatar 115 I'd get it with the Neo speakers (Celestion BN15-400s). Are those not as deep as the 3015LF?

19. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Not even close. Those are pretty lack luster speakers IMHO. 2.5mm xman? no thanks. The 3015LF has a 9mm xmax. Checking out the response charts those Celestions are actually fairly soft in the lows even at lower volumes.

20. B-string

Not nearly the Xmax (linear come throw) as the 3015LF.

21. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    To the OP, if your budget is pretty tight look at the TB153 from avatar. I would recommend you get that cab with the 3015LF in 8 Ohms.