1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need help finding a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Premoose, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Premoose

Premoose

Hey dudes. I haven't been here in many years. Not since I got my very first bass, a Squier P-bass. Forgot my account info so I had to make a new one :( Anyways I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to the bass. I never got the motivation to get past the beginning stages of learning the bass. You know, the stage when you suck. I'm looking to buy a new bass because my old cheap P-bass is super messed up. Not even worth fixing. After a bit of research I decided I want a new bass with specific qualities. Can anyone recommend good quality basses with the following specifications:

1. 5-string with low B
    2. 35"
    3. 3-band EQ
    4. active pickups (it seems to be pretty standard, but I want 2 pickups with a blend control also)
    5. no more than $800, $500ish would be best
    6. no animal parts if possible, like mother of pearl inlays and stuff like that

I understand some of this is overkill, but I want to get used to a 5-string and I want the flexibility of a 3-band EQ for later down the road. I'm going to be stuck with this bass for a long time.
  2. extreme

extreme

I'm not up on current prices, but what jumps to mind if you can swing a used one would be a Lakland 55-01 or 55-02. You could probably even get a new one towards the top of your range if you found a good deal.

There are actually a lot of options if you hit a couple music stores around you and try things out, but the Lakland would be your best bang for the buck if you have to order without playing it first as they're pretty consistent and really a good deal for what you get.
  3. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Ibanez SR505 sounds like it would fit the bill, though I'm not sure about the scale. If you want 35" for a 'tighter' B-string, it's totally unnecessary.
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

5. Premoose

Premoose

I looked at these basses and noticed they have passive pickups. It says the EMG HZ's on the Schecter are passive, as well as the Bartolini MK2 on the Ibanez are passive as well. Forgive my ignorance, but does having an active preamp make the pickups active?
  6. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    Ibanez ATK805E $799
  7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

The majority of the Active basses you hear about and see in the market utilize passive pickups with active circuitry/preamp.
    An Active bass has either active circuitry/preamp AND/OR active pickups.
    There are actually only a few that use specifically active pickups (I think Modulus, Alembic are ones that come to my mind, I'm sure I'm missing a few).
    Active basses utilize a battery (or batteries- I have one that uses 2- 9 volts yikes) and using an active bass with a dying battery sounds plain horrible. A dead battery means no sound at all for a number of these active basses unless they have a passive/active switch which I wish more bass companies would utilize and give you the option to choose.
    You can always add active pickups to a bass that has active circuitry of course, but you don't really need to do that as you'll already have a preamp with EQ capabilities.
    Hope this helps.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think you mean active preamp rather than active pickups. A used Lakland 55 would probably meet your specs.
  9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

On the lower-budget side, there's the Squier Jazz Deluxe Active V. The only criteria it doesn't meet is the 35" scale length. I had one last year, and it was pretty darn sweet. But I couldn't get the hang of a fiver while I was (and still am) learning my way around a four-banger. A real beauty too…white body, matching headstock, no pickguard…just lots of white, black (ebonol fretboard) and chrome. Sadly, that color configuration has been discontinued. But it's still being made (all black or sunburst), and can easily be found new or used all over the place.
  10. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

look around for a SPECTOR legend custom ..rebop or 2000/5 best bang for the buck for 5 stings INCREDIBLE B string tone and you wont put it down for days..
  11. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

peavey GV. done.