Need help finding a bridge for new Aerodyne Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Johnny Walker, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker

I recently purchased a new Fender Aerodyne Jazz with the P/J configuration. I totally love this bass. I am going to go to some DiMarzio pups and I want to replace the bridge with either Fender High Mass, Fender Super High Mass ( Big Block ) Gotoh or Bad Ass II. I want to keep the same color that is currently on the bass which is called " smoke ". Can anyone point me in the right direction to find one of those bridges in " smoke " ?

Thanks so much for your help.

2. Bobster

Bobster

Johnny,

Be sure to allow for the body bevels when looking for a replacement bridge the Aerodyne has a "pocket" in the body for the bridge and many of the high-mass ones won't fit without modifying either the body or bridge.

Bob

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have had my Aero for over 4 years and have never found any reason to change the bridge.

Pick ups- yes
    DiMarzo's all the way.

4. xfredrikx

xfredrikx

Newer aerodynes (like my '07) does not have that "pocket".

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Banger4

4Banger4

Hope you find something. I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking about just going black bridge. I don't think it'll look that bad. Honestly, my bridge it's hard to even tell it's smoked.

7. xfredrikx

xfredrikx

Same here. Honestly don't think that a black babicz will look that horrible on. Please send me a pic if you decide to try with a black bridge. Or if you have better photoshop-skills than me

8. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. I was just wondering what DiMarzio pups you put in and if you lined the pickup cavities with anything. Did the DiMarzio's eliminate the hum that you get from the Jazz pup ? I'm thinking of going with the DiMarzio DP126.

9. Bobster

Bobster

10. Billy K

Billy K

here ya go

Attached Files:

11. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker

Thanks again guys. After doing a significent amount of research I don't think the difference in any of the after market bridges makes a whole lot of difference over the stock bridge. A different sound, yes. An improvement over the stock bridge ? I guess that's a matter of taste. What I've got already sounds very good to me. If you need a sprectrometer to see the differrence rather than what you hear with your ears, I just don't think it's worth the money or the time or effort to make a change. I'll put that money into a different Jazz Pup.. The Ultra Jazz seems like a good choice. The Precision pup sounds really good. Thanks again for all your help.. I really appreciate it..Aguilar just came out with some " matched " pups for p/j configured 4 string bases. Should be available Dec 1, 2012. Part/Model number is AG 4P/J-HC. HC = Hum Cancelling. I might give that a try, but at $185.00 I might not. lol

12. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Wise choice.
    I would recommend the Area J though. Much mellower and single coil vintage Jazz sounding.

13. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker

Thanks. I'll surely consider that if it will get rid of the 60 cycle hum..

14. BadB

BadB

I have an Aerodyne (black) that I bought specifically to tinker with. I put on a black BAII with chrome saddles and an EMG PJ set. Since the smoked chrome knobs wouldn't fit on the EMG passive tone control set, I just put on regular knurled chrome knobs. If Hipshot ever sells direct replacement tuners in chrome, I will get those. Last time I checked, they sold a Drop D tuner that would fit. The bass looks great, and it's the only bass that I have with EMG's, so I can appreciate the sound. The BAII is a little too thick though. I have the saddles as low as they can go, but I am not willing to rout out the bass. I might modify the saddles.