Need help finding house speakers

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Paladin54, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Paladin54

Paladin54 Providing the low end for the High One Supporting Member

My church needs some new house speakers. We have a Peavey PV 900 power amp. 2 channels. Specs say 300 watts (rms) per channel at 4 ohms, 180 watts (rms) per channel at 8 ohms.

Everything I read seems to indicate I need about 1.5x power in my power amp then my speakers will handle.

So from what I understand I can get 2 200w 4 ohm speakers or 2 8 ohm speakers at about 100-120 w.

We would also be interested in getting a sub but I am thinking we would need another power amp to add this or get an active powered sub.

I also understand I could run 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel on each channel and would still be getting the 300 watts at 4 ohms.

But would each speaker in parallel get 300 watts or 150 each at 4 ohms? Not sure how that works.

Any help or advice is welcome.

Room seats about 200. Our current speakers are loud enough but don't sound great with no low end at all and the whole system sounds very tinny.
  2. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

I play in a similar sized sanctuary and the setup there is a hung pair of 2/10 or 2/12 powered Mackies and a single 18 Sub on the floor through a PreSonus 24 board. The sound is good enough, but if really like to hear it with a pair of platform mounted 3/ways with a 15 in each for some more upper lows. As to your question, I'd say yes to separate power for the Sub and extra headroom power for the mains is good as long as you don't overdrive them.