Need help getting an OLP MM 5'er Pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass10bfb, Jan 24, 2013.

1. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Supporting Member

I just picked up an OLP Musicman 5 string bass, and I want to replace the white pickguard with a black one. Does anybody know where I can buy this exact pickguard or have one to sell?????? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    FYI.... I have searched Ebay, a lot of the custom pickguard makers, etc. and can not find one of these. I know they can be custom made and all that and I understand I may have to go that route. But money is tight right now, and I would love if I could just purchase one ready to go.
    It is different than EBMM pickguards. It is one solid piece, not seperate from the control plate. I would like one exactly like this if possible. Here are pics, front and backsides:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks guys; any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!!!

2. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

3. Bobster

Bobster

A standard SR5 pickguard is one piece like that. If you can find one you may want to see how closely it matches. I just realized it's missing the 3-way switch slit on an SR5 guard.

Or, Pickguardian, Jeannies, Chandler, Greasygroove, or others can make one if you send a template.

Best of luck,

Bob

4. bass10bfb

Thanks, but they don't have it. I can't find any of the major pickguard distributors that have this one. I know they can make it, but that runs into more cost. I am low on funds.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass10bfb

Thanks Bob. Yeah this is a tough find because of the lack of the 3 way switch. Also, it is passive so only has 3 pots. Most have 4. And most pickguards I see are seperate from the control plate. This is just one total piece. Tough to find.

7. bass10bfb

Anybody else??? All help is greatly appreciated!!!

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Good luck, I have never seen an OLP style guard on anything other than an OLP.

You could always just paint it, it is not like it will detract from the value.

9. bass10bfb

Thanks DiabolusInMusic.... I have actually thought about painting it. What kind of paint would be best to use for pickguards????? Any ideas???

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I personally couldn't tell you, I would just spray paint it, but there are far more educated folks than I on the subject here. Just don't forget to add the shielding to the back again.

11. bass10bfb

Thanks so much for the help!!!

12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

There'll no doubt be ways to do it properly, but painted pickguards doesn't seem to stay painted for long!

Maybe a silly idea, but have you thought about getting the MM SR5 pickguard and just putting in a dummy switch and dummy pot (if there's room in the cavity).

Not familiar with the workings of that bass but you could possibly add some fun little extras, switchable tone caps or something. Or just leave it blank and tell people it does something when it doesn't (I seem to recall a story of a famous player doing something like that anyway).

13. bass10bfb

Thanks for the ideas!!!! The control cavity is a little crowded right now the way it is. I read a couple of threads that mentioned using fingernail polish to paint it. The ones I saw looked surprisingly sweet and original looking. Guy said it has lasted it for almost 30 years or something like that.
    Might be worth a try......

14. bass10bfb

Thanks for all of the help guys!!!!! Any more is greatly appreciated!!!

15. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

www.wdmusic.com

They carry all kinds of parts for guitars and basses including pickguards. They also make custom ones.

16. bass10bfb

Thanks; they don't have this one. They can make customs, but I am low on cash; trying to find one just like this if possible.

17. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

Custom will probably be your only chance in getting one. Not really a big market for upgrades on an OLP.

18. bass10bfb

I had my daughter do the fingernail polish job on my current pickguard. It looks awesome so far; waiting on it to dry. In a couple more days or so (waiting on other parts now too) I will post a pic of her work!!! Hopefully this is as "custom" as I have to go!! Thanks guys!!!

19. bass10bfb

Pics of my daughter's work on my white pickguard; I think it looks super sweet!! What do you guys think???? I still need to paint the pickguard screws and the screw in the bridge (black screws that came with it were too short)!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. DiabolusInMusic

Looks a heck of a lot better than white that is for sure.

All that matters is how it looks under stage lights and I think it'll look good.

21. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    I would rock that! Custom on the cheap!

You did make sure this was acceptable with all applicable child labor laws right? :ninja: :D