1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need help - homemade VVT for fender jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cougmeister, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

I would like to make a homemade vvt control to replace the active controls on my deluxe jazz v, but I'm lost on what parts I will need. I know I will obviously need some pits and a control plate, but I don't know anything about bass electronics.
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

3. Cadfael

Cadfael

Hi Cougmeister,

I would make a blank plate where the actual input jack is at the side (or leave it as it is).

Are your pickups humbuckers? Then I would take three 500k log CTS pots with a 6.35mm (1/4") axis.
    You also need a .047µF (47nF) capacitor and maybe a second jack (Switchcraft or Neutrik).

Then you can realise one of the many "normal VVT" wirings ...

I think the jack is better on the control plate (if it fits at your bass) and you don't need something to close the boring.
  4. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

The standard jack is on the side. I've been thinking, and I feel like I want to do a vvt with a series/parallel toggle switch on it. How would I add that into a standard vvt setup?
  5. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

What do you mean by a "vvt" control?
  6. Cadfael

Cadfael

vvt means volume-volume-tone ...

It's no problem to add a series/parallel mini-switch (on the last position of the panel?). A "Gibson LP toggle" would be too big and also has the wrong contacts. A DPDT On/On is needed.

Here is the page to my 400 pages wiring compendium (in German - but easy to understand!): http://161589.homepagemodules.de/t2...chaltplan-Sammlung-fuer-passive-E-Baesse.html
    Scroll down, open the "Bassschaltung389.pdf" and save in your HD.

Drawing 2.1.01 (currently page 262) shows what you want.
    There is a push/pull there but an On/On mini toggle switch is wired 100% the same.