1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need help identifying a bass part

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Lenbytown, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Lenbytown

Lenbytown

My bass has a thin strip of wood at the top of each rib where the ribs meet the neck heel. It appears to be a separate piece of wood and is dark, maybe black (ebony?). Just wondering what this part is called and what its purpose is. Thanks.
  2. Sparty

Sparty

You may be better off posting this on the luthiers forum.. I'm sure they may be able to help.. ;0)
  3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Its a cosmetic filler strip or decoration. The ribs probably don't meet the neck heel cleanly. This is done sometimes when a neck is reset.
  4. George M

George M

we call them shoulders, they are there to hide the neck joint at the top of the bass!
  5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    That's not fair, Eric. The high end Wilfer basses have the ebony fillets for decoration, not because the guys don't have basic hand skills! ;)
  6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member Supporting Member

Man, those Wilfer DB's are really bee-u-tiful! How do they stack up in competition with comparatively priced DB's?

Sorry----no derail meant but the OP question was answered yes? And I just checked out the Wilfers.
  7. Lenbytown

Lenbytown

Thanks everyone.
  8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Gee, Jake. I did give decoration as one reason for them...
  9. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    Yeah, and then you threw all makers under the bus with "The ribs probably don't meet the neck heel cleanly."

If you can't make the ribs fit the heel nicely, what do you think the odds are of making those delicate little ebony bits fit? On the rougher Chinese BSOs they just use filler in the gaps and opaque stains... :(
  10. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

All makers under the bus?, not my intent at all...:rollno: And certainly not regarding Wilfer or other quality basses, unless work was done later
    by a repairman to cover up something.
  11. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Alright, maybe this is more accurate

The ribs may not meet the neck heel cleanly.