Need help identifying a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steelbed45, Mar 18, 2014.

1. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

I saw this in my local CL, the person updates it almost daily -

http://killeen.craigslist.org/msg/4377244993.html

Is this a Tiesco? It looks it might be a fun project. I'd like to know what it is in case the owner tries to really dig in that it's a Japanese Fender...

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Absolutely not a Japanese Fender. Not made in the 50's either. Looks like a 70's Tiesco.

3. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

4. capnjim

capnjim

Also.... just by the way the ad is worded you know he thinks its worth a fortune. Offer 80$ and I bet you get a nasty reply.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    Can't really see those pickups too clearly, but it looks to be a Harmony from maybe as early as the late 1970's, if it actually is that old. Headstock looks right for the 70's Harmony though

7. cdef

cdef

Here's a Maya from 1970:

[​IMG]

And an Apollo (w/ blocks), built by Kawai (which had swallowed Teisco by then):

[​IMG]

8. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

"Lawsuit Fender"?
    Were there ANY lawsuit Fender copies?

The "lawsuit" era was early '70s not the '50s.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the lawsuit was between Gibson and Ibanez's parent company, and it was about the headstock shape of the LP copies, and maybe the Explorer/Destroyer bodies.

I don't think Leo copyrighted any of his body shapes or headstocks, and that's one of the reasons there are so many Fender copies.

9. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Definitely not Japeneese Fender
    Definitely not a "lawsuit fender"
    Definitely not 1950s

That is a piece of firewood waiting to happen.

10. GM60466

GM60466

walk away fast!

11. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

All that said, these old Teisco's, Kawai's, and other off brands can be a fun cheap project, but they need to stay cheap. If the guy will sell for $100 or less (or whatever it is worth to YOU) you can get a cool weird playable instrument out of this for small money and cheap ebay parts.

But it just ain't a valuable collectable vintage instrument. These things have choked garage sales and dumpsters for years. They are cool fun, in only the way a weird old copy can be, but they aren't worth throwing real money at.

The fact that it is missing a few parts and needs wiring is a bonus, because it makes it cheaper. The only good parts of these types of instruments are the wood and the pickguard. Tuners, frets, pickups (unles you are going for that goofy lo-fi sound) electronics, bridge... all poo. You are going to want to replace this stuff anyway, so there's no point in buying a complete instrument.

12. RSBBass

RSBBass

Yep on the lawsuit. Fender headstocks followed a pattern popular with German makers in the mid to late 19th century. Early Martin guitars had them too. I don't think he could have gotten a trademark or design copyright on them.