1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need help ID'ing, dating a bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bettercallsaul, Feb 17, 2014.

1. bettercallsaul

bettercallsaul

Hey guys, just joined up to hopefully get some information on a bass. My uncle passed away and no one in the family plays an instrument besides me, so it got handed to me. It's an AXL Player Deluxe..that's all I know. I'm not a bass player and will probably sell it, just curious what information I can get on it, like year of manufacture, electronics, value, etc. It's in overall great shape and sounds amazing when plugged in.

I looked online and really couldn't find anything close to this bass. I'm thinking it might only be worth about $100-$150 tops? It's built really solid and sounds great but I've never heard of AXL so I figured the value can't be too high. Thank you for any help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

You have to be a member to ask "how much is it worth" questions. Though I will tell you that AXL bass is worth less than $100.
  3. johnson79

johnson79

From the serial # I'd assume it was made in 2002, but who knows. There's a local guy selling these god awful relic'd Axl basses. Truly hideous. This one looks great. $100 is about right.

Sorry about your uncle.
  4. bettercallsaul

bettercallsaul

I am a member, aren't I? Thanks for the condescending remarks though. Helps a lot.

Everyone's a hot shot on the internet.
  5. bettercallsaul

bettercallsaul

Thanks for the help.
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My comment would be that it's a nice looking bass, and if you were at all close to your uncle, the sentimental value may be greater than the monetary value.

If you have any hankering to learn, that would be a good bass to start with. If you have a friend or youngster who is starting, it would make a nice gift to them and you wouldn't be out much for a nice gesture.

The fact that the bass isn't a high-dollar or big name doesn't mean that it's not a good player and it may sound really good. Many inexpensive basses are great values.
  7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Uh, no... you're not a member. You're a "registered user". In order to be a member, you have to pay a few bucks a year for dues.

I don't see where you got the impression my remarks were condescending. I told you you had to be a member to ask value-related questions, and then I decided to be a sport and tell you that your bass is worth less than a hundo. Now, if I were to be condescending, I'd say something like "The rules clearly state 'Price check/"How much is this bass worth"-type threads are limited to supporting members only'. Try reading the rules before you post".
  8. bettercallsaul

bettercallsaul

I thought of that too Pilgrim. I actually have a son, I may just put it off to the side for a few years and see if he wants to try to learn. I figured the bass wasn't going to be anything valuable, but it really is built solid (very heavy) and has a great tone. Pretty nicely made Fender knock-off. ;)

Thanks, sincerely, for the help. Rock on, bass players. You're the backbone of the band. :bassist:
  9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I too would guess the leading 2002 on the ser # is the year
  10. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

Thats pretty sweet for s $100.00
    I'd gift it if at all possible...
  11. mog416

mog416

It must be a real player. It says so right on it
  12. Major Softie

Major Softie

In your current post that I have quoted, "knowing what you're talking about before you criticize other posters" would have been very condescending, but possibly justified.

What your post (that bothered the OP) was, was concise, direct, and perhaps even "blunt." The OP seems to either be extremely oversensitive, or misunderstands the meaning of the word "condescending."

Both is, of course, another option.

OP, although the bass is not worth much to sell, it certainly is a nice looking bass, and it may even function just fine. The "gifting" suggestion is a much better one than selling.
  13. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

That's strange. I wonder why his user name appears on the members list, as does mine. You learn something new every day. :smug:
  14. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

You can argue semantics all you want, but when you sign up, the rules (that you agree to) clearly state that you have to be a supporting member to ask what your bass is worth. The OP broke that rule, and on top of that, has acted poorly when it was brought to his attention.
  15. Major Softie

Major Softie

LOL. I don't think Stealth was "arguing," but rather bringing up an ironic detail. At least, thats how I read it, and thus my "lol."
  16. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

+1 That and pointing out that a little politeness never hurts. :)