Need help improving the tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tnosam, Feb 17, 2014.

1. tnosam

tnosam

I own several basses and my least expensive one is an all black Squier Active Deluxe 4-string. I absolutely love the way this instrument looks with its black fretboard and no fret markers. But I'm having a difficult time getting the the right tone from it. It is very midrangey, to the point of sounding nasally, no matter how I adjust it. I prefer the deep, fat sound most often heard in R&B music. I typically use flat and semi-flat strings and I have upgraded the nut and the pickups on this and most of my other basses with DeMarzio Super Jazz pickups, but this bass continues to maintain its nasally sound. As a last resort I am considering having it gutted and totally re-done. But if you guys (and gals) have a less expensive suggestion I would certainly love to hear it. :bassist: Keeper of the looow end.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Use EQ to cut high mids.

3. brainburst

brainburst

What does the wood feel like? If the instrument doesn't feel like it has a lot of natural tone electronic enhancement is going to be limited. Also are you playing closer to the neck? Do you have slim fingers? Have you tried playing some notes with your thumb? Can you completely bypass the preamp to see if that is the problem?
    Fresh battery?