1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need help. Lakland 44-01

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by koldunt, Jan 29, 2014.

1. koldunt

koldunt

Hello. I would like to ask members of the forum to help with choosing a replacement for standard pickups for Lakland 44-01 (Bartolini MK1 pitskups, MK1 preamp). What pickups and preamps to fit my bass, among which to choose? Looked kits Aquilar, Bartolini, Nordstrand. What pickups will be without elaboration wood guitar?

2. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

I have to say that my 55-01 sounded awesome with just replacing the preamp with a Bart NTMB. Total pro sounding bass and my drummer, at the time, said it was my best sounding bass over a Jazz w/custom 60's pups. If you really want to change the pups, I'd go Bart CB's (a slightly better version of what you have).

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

4. koldunt

koldunt

Thanks for the good advice. Put on my Lakland Bartolini MK4CBC and NTMB preamp.I believe that the sound will change for the better!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Andy_D

Andy_D

I went with an Aguilar pre amp in my 4401. It sounds and plays great. I've been contemplating US Barts but I have to admit I don't know how much better I can make it sound.

7. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Aggies are awesome as well.

8. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

I have MK5's and an NTMB in my 5501...it is absolutely fantastic. Very versatile. With both pickups on, the tone is very very full sounding. Backed off to the bridge pickup, it gets very (pleasantly) impolite without getting to thin...reminds me of a Musicman.

Typically I avoid the solo'd bridge pickup type of sound, but on this bass it's very pleasant. The only thing I would suggest adding (and am considering for my own instrument) is a coil selector switch, as those MK's offer a lot of different wiring configurations.

9. koldunt

koldunt

Could you tell what kind of switch coil do you mean?

10. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Either a DPDT like is suggested in other threads, or a 5 way similar to Sterlings and 'strats. Something where I can select which coils are active on each pickup.

11. koldunt

koldunt

please, tell me, the size pickups Bartolini MK-1 at 44-01 and 55-01 the same? This is one and same pickups used on both data models guitars or 4 string bass pickup shorter than 5 strings?

12. mmbongo

They use the same MK1's for both, they are the same size.

So that means MK5's and MK4's are the same size outside, but they are made differently inside.

13. koldunt

koldunt

Can I put on 44-01 Nordstrand DC instead of MK-1 and the string will be exactly above the pickup magnets? The gap between the pickup and the body of the tree does not interest me.

14. mmbongo

Probably. There would be enough gap around the pickups to where you could move them up or down to make sure they line up.

Personally though I would go with Bart MK4's. They are dual coil blades that are made to fit in that bass so no gaps and no coverage issues.

15. koldunt

koldunt

Bartolini MK4 also suitable, will be interesting thought Nordstrand. I want to make the cut-off coils on the pickups. And take an interesting preamp instead of native MK1.Na MK4 also possible to cut the coil? How much better MK4 than MK1 pickups? Thank you for answers.

16. mmbongo

Yes the Barts are designed for coil splitting. I have mine wired with toggle switches for series/single/parallel.

MK1's really have nothing at all in common with MK4's. MK4's will be deeper, tighter, and clearer by a long shot. MK1's are not even made by Bartolini.

17. koldunt

koldunt

So take MK4 pickups? Do not be disappointed? And what preamp advise?

18. mmbongo

Bart pre of course!

19. koldunt

koldunt

well convinced

20. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Let us know how it works out! I'm very happy with my MK5's and NTMB. Just need those coil selectors, one of these days.

21. koldunt

koldunt

Let's see what happens. Once installed all - I'll write about the result.