Need help learning the head to "out of nowhere"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by learnintowalk, Feb 27, 2014.

1. learnintowalk

learnintowalk

Hello my fellow bassists! I just started taking lessons from a very accomplished bassist at my junior college. He gave me "Out of nowhere" to learn by next week and I just cant seem to get the head down, any tips? (also I just started learning theory im pretty green to walking bass lines too)

2. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Sing it. Arpeggiate the chords until you can play them without looking at the chart. Discuss Key Centers with your teacher.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    When you say "head", you mean melody, right? So don't worry about the chords right now, just work on the melody. Get a recorded version by a singer, I'd suggest either Billie Holiday or Frank Sinatra, and listen to the melody MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY times. All the time, over and over. Learn the lyrics.

All of that listening gives your fingers the sound to shoot for, you're not just playing dots on a page and a geographical area on the fingerboard you're trying to MAKE THAT SOUND RIGHT THERE. Having the lyrics in your ear helps phrase the melody and helps you remember if you're going to first ending or second ending.

But there aren't any shortcuts, the only way that stuff gets internalised is by hearing it a lot and playing it a lot.

4. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    What Ed said. I recently started working on jazz standard vocal tunes while playing URB and since doing this my playing the melodies has gotten better.

Wally

5. Register to disable this ad